Coleman gives profile of freshman class

President Coleman gave the regents and other University leaders at the meeting yesterday a glimpse at how this year’s freshman class stacks up on paper. She called this year’s freshman “the finest incoming class in our history.”

Just fewer than 6,000 freshmen were enrolled this year, and one in four of those were in the top 1 percent of their high school graduating class. The class had an average high school GPA of 3.8, with more than half of the incoming freshmen achieving a perfect 4.0. President Coleman said she was “thrilled to welcome all the new students.”

Solar car team honored

The University of Michigan Solar Car team received a resolution from the regents in honor of their 2008 Solar Challenge victory. Regent Katherine White (D-Ann Arbor) read the resolution and handed the team members a framed version of it as University President Mary Sue Coleman looked on. As the regents asked questions about the construction of the car and the execution of the race, 20 or so members of the team stood at the front of the room, answered questions and grinned from ear-to-ear. Coleman said their victory was due to an “amazing team effort.”

The team redesigns a new solar car every two years. Their most recent model won the Solar Challenge by more than 10 hours and attained a top speed of 46 miles per hour. Team members joked with the regents about dealing with “a couple cloudy days” during the race and said they will next compete at the 2010 World Solar Challenge in Australia.

Winfield gives report on emergency preparedness

Robert Winfield, the University’s Chief Health Officer, updated the regents on the University’s emergency preparedness, saying 25,000 people have signed up for the emergency alert system which includes text and voicemail messages.

About 99,000 people are registered to receive emergency alerts from the University through e-mail, but the process of sending those alerts can take several hours to complete.

New business deanship established

The University Board of Regents voted yesterday to establish an endowed deanship for the Ross School of Business, effective Oct. 1 of this year. The Edward J. Frey Dean of Business, established with a donation of $5,000,000 from the Frey Foundation, will “serve as a significant means to retain and attract current and future deans of the school.”

Edward J. Frey, a Grand Rapids native, earned his undergraduate degree in business from the University in 1932. He established the Frey Foundation in 1974, an organization focused on supporting hospitals, cultural initiatives, social service agencies and education.