Several ongoing University construction will be a focus of Thursday’s Board of Regents meeting, with several projects awaiting approval from the board.

The two main undertakings include renovations to the Intramural Sports Building and the construction of a $168 million athletic complex.

Intramural Sports Building

At the regents’ September 2014 meeting, the Board approved a proposal to renovate the Intramural Sports Building, which was opened in 1928.

At this week’s meeting, the regents will vote on a budget extension for the project and to approve schematic designs for the renovation. The proposal seeks a budget increase from $18.7 million to $21.4 million. The additional funding will be used to create more space for group exercise rooms, based on student feedback, as well as add air conditioning and building perimeter drains.

Investment proceeds and the Student Life Student Fee for Facility Renewal will fund the project.

The original renovation proposal includes plans for racquetball court, locker room and staff office upgrades, as well as new group fitness and weight lifting rooms. Other renovation plans include plumbing, wireless networking and wiring updates; exterior window replacement, masonry repairs, lighting improvements and gym floor replacement.

The renovation, which is expected to create 37 construction jobs, is scheduled for completion by Fall 2016.

Athletic complex

Thursday, the regents will vote to approve demolition of the 2500 S. State St. building — formerly owned by Edwards Brothers Malloy — to create additional land for the $168 million athletic complex, a project approved at the board’s September meeting.

The building, which was vacated in December 2014, would cost $2.4 million to demolish and clear. This $2.4 million is included in the previously approved $168 million budget. The $168 million is a compilation of Athletic Department gifts and resources, namely an $100 million donation from Stephen Ross.

The proposal cites future storm water management opportunities and reduced wetland impact during the complex’s construction as reasons for providing the additional land.

If approved, the demolition, which is predicted to create 210 construction jobs, will begin in April 2015 and will be completed by summer 2015.

Clarence Cook Little Science Building renovation

The regents will also vote to approve a request to proceed with renovating geological sciences laboratories in the Clarence Cook Little Science Building.

The proposal, submitted by interim chief financial officer Douglas Strong, asks to revamp the first- and fifth-floor laboratories to provide modern research facilities and to accommodate for another faculty member. The project would renovate about 6,500 square feet of existing laboratory and storage space.

The estimated cost for the renovations is $1.35 million. Construction would be complete in the fall of 2015.