At it”s September meeting tomorrow, the University”s Board of Regents will be asked to approve the schematic design and revised budget for a new $220 million Biomedical Science Research Building that is to be one of the main buildings on the Medical School campus.

The building”s design will offer the most efficient way to conduct research while allowing the University to remain on the cutting edge of medical science, said Gilbert Omenn, the University”s executive vice president for medical affairs. The 470,000-square-foot building was designed by New York City-based Polshek Partnership Architects.

“Interdisciplinary scientific programs rather than traditional departments will be the basis for allocation of space,” Omenn said.

The building is not scheduled to open until 2005, allowing the University time and flexibility in identifying the areas of scientific research in which it wants to focus, Omenn said. The areas of interest most likely to be housed in the building are geriatrics and biogerontology, immunology, cardiovascular science, cellular and molecular therapeutics, organogenesis and neuroscience.

The Cancer and Geriatrics Center Building is already laid out according to this theory, and Omenn said it seems to be working well.

In addition to being organized according to research interests, the building will also be other

“There will be the opportunity for faculty and students to have the opportunity to interact,” said Hank Baier, associate vice president for facilities and operations.

There will be open spaces where colleagues can bump into each other, offering the opportunity to talk about similar research projects, which may not happen in a traditionally-designed building, Baier said. The building is designed to allow more light to enter, especially in office areas.

The intent is to make “people fell like they”re in a space where they can be comfortable and not feel isolated,” Baier said.

The building will allow maximum flexibility to change as the fast-paced world of science changes, Baier added.

One of the features of the building is an underground auditorium, of which only the top will be visible from the street. The building is also expected to house 240 laboratories and 1,000 people.

The building will span the northern half of the block between Glen Avenue and Zina Pitcher Place, just south of Ann Street.

It will serve as “a symbolic and physical link to the central campus and especially the Life Sciences Institute-associated buildings,” Omenn said.

The building will be an integral part of the Life Sciences Initiative and the medical campus, Omenn said.

It will replace some of the oldest buildings on the medical campus, including the Neuroscience Building, which used to be the Food and Services Building and was converted into a laboratory in 1969.

“It”s going to be architecturally stunning building,” Omenn said.