The University’s Board of Regents approved several nominations for faculty and administrative positions at its meeting Thursday.

Laurie McCauley was approved as the new dean of the University’s School of Dentistry. McCauley is a renowned expert in the field of skeletal biology and has a long history at the University. She will begin her five-year appointment on Sept. 1, succeeding current dean Peter Polverini, who will step down after serving two terms as dean.

McCauley earned her four degrees from The Ohio State University and began as an assistant professor at the University in 1992. She has been widely published in a number of journals and written voluminously on the effects of hormones on bone growth and regeneration and cellular function. She is currently on sabbatical and serving as a visiting professor at the Harvard Medical School.

McCauley praised her predecessors for the strong position the school is in. The Dentistry School is consistently ranked among the top 10 dental programs in the country.

“I’m hoping to continue to respect the clinicians as the leaders and the best,” McCauley said. “I also want to provide exceptional multidisciplinary clinical care in our clinics and sustaining the excellence we have in our research mission.

McCauley reaffirmed her commitment to teaching but added that she would work to sustain and increase the role that research plays at the school.

“There’s definitely pressure with the government support of research, but on the flipside, we’re really well positioned with strength and outstanding faculty,” McCauley said. “I think we can weather that storm. We’ll continue to be competitive for our research.”

She has also served on a National Institutes of Health advisory committee and is a member of a number of professional associations, a statement from the University said. She has given over 150 presentations around the world on her research and evidence-based practice.

In a statement, University Provost Phil Hanlon said McCauley’s wide range of experiences made her stand out as a candidate for the school’s highest position.

“Professor McCauley is a seasoned academic administrator whose service to the School of Dentistry, the University and beyond is extensive,” said Hanlon. “She brings a unique blend of clinical experience, research achievement, pedagogical leadership and administrative success to the position.”

Alfred Franzblau to succeed Pollack as Vice Provost for Academic and Budgetary Affairs

Regents also approved Alfred Franzblau, associate dean for research at the School of Public Health, as vice provost for academic and budgetary affairs. Franzblau’s term will begin in May and conclude in June 2018. The position is currently held by Pollack, who will take over as provost in May.

As vice provost, he will work with the provost to maintain policy in academic and budgetary issues and serve as a liaison to deans and directors.

Franzblau worked as an assistant professor in the School of Public Health when he joined the University faculty in 1989. He has also worked as an associate research scientist in the Center for Ergonomics in the Department of Industrial and Operations Engineering and as a professor for Environmental Health Sciences.

Franzblau was appointed as associate dean for research in the School of Public Health in 2011, where he has overseen total research funding in 2011 to 2012 of more than $66 million.

“Dr. Franzblau is an outstanding mentor and an inspiring teacher,” Hanlon said. “I am confident that he will provide excellent leadership in academic and budgetary affairs.”

James Holloway appointed Vice Provost for Global and Engaged Education

The regents also appointed James Holloway as the next vice provost for Global and Engaged Education. Holloway is currently a professor of nuclear engineering and radiological sciences and associate dean of undergraduate education.

In an interview with the Daily, Holloway said he is excited about the opportunity to create energy in how the University engages on the global stage.

“I’m really looking forward to this opportunity. It’s a tremendous honor to be asked to serve in this capacity and I’m greatly looking forward to growing global scholarly impact the University of Michigan can have,” Holloway said.

In his new role, Holloway will oversee experiential learning programs across the University such as study abroad opportunities or Semester in Detroit. While units and colleges across campus have their own departments that handle these programs, Holloway’s office helps coordinate opportunities throughout the University.

Holloway hopes to bring together faculty and students across departments to create the richest and broadest set of programs.

Still, Holloway said dealing with costs and creating a culture that emphasizes the value of these learning experiences are two difficult tasks for the job. He hopes study-abroad opportunities and similar programs will be seen as an expectation of an undergraduate experience. Scale is also an issue, as it will take a great deal of coordination to potentially expand the program to a level that encompasses the majority of University students.

Holloway hopes his office will play the coordinating role in removing these barriers and extending programs to a wide array of campus.

Correction appended: A previous version of this story misstated James Holloway’s specific vice provost position.