The University’s Board of Regents will meet Thursday to approve the construction of a brand new Transportation Operation and Maintenance Facility project and the construction for a $54 million robotics laboratory on North Campus.

Doug Strong, the University’s interim chief financial officer, recommended constructing a new research and teaching facility for the robotics program through the College of Engineering.

The new building will house research laboratories, offices, classroom space and other functions.

The project will be funded in part through resources and gifts from the College of Engineering.

Strong also proposed to replace the current Parking Transportation Services Building with a larger building to accommodate heavier equipment and larger buses.

Though the Parking and Transportation Services Building is located currently on South Campus, on Kipke Drive and past the Yost Ice Arena, the new building is to be located on North Campus near Green Road and Hubbard Street.

According to Strong, the movement will allow the University to save approximately $400,000 per year in operating expenses by reducing miles out of service buses travel to get to the farther location. Furthermore, the new facility would allow about 185 parking spaces to become available on the Stephen M. Ross Athletic Campus.

The new site is estimated to cost $38.5 million and construction is set to begin in fall 2017.

Construction proposals

The regents will also consider a variety of construction proposals.

The North Quadrangle Residential and Academic Complex, which opened in 2010, is in need of a new roof. An investigation is underway to determine the cause of the roof’s premature deterioration. The proposal recommends replacing approximately 25,000 square feet of the metal roofing on the building’s south wing. The project, which is estimated to cost $3.2 million, will be funded by internal investment proceeds and is scheduled for completion in fall 2015.

The board will also consider a budget revision for the Earl V. Moore Building renovation and Brehm Pavillion project. The project, which was approved by the board in December 2013, was initially estimated to cost $24.32 million. According to the original proposal, approximately 28,000 square feet of the existing building will be renovated and 34,000 square feet of shelled space will be added.

The proposal asks the regents to increase the budget to $29.5 million to allow for a music technology room, a student commons room and miscellaneous furnishings.

Central Student Government in review

CSG president Bobby Dishell, a Public Policy senior, will give his final address to the board — a portion of which will focus on the pending, CSG-generated student honor code.

In February, Dishell created a student task force charged with designing the centralized student honor code — and Thursday, he will report on its progress.

The honor code follow-up comes as the Office of Student Life reviews the Statement of Student Rights and Responsibilities as part of its regular amendment cycle.

In an e-mail to the University community on April 9, E. Royster Harper, vice president for student life, announced the statement was up for revisions and noted that CSG, the Senate Advisory Committee on University Affairs, and the University’s administration are the three bodies that can propose amendments.

On this subject, Dishell wrote, “Currently, there is no student ownership or input over the process and rules that govern student behavior and hold students accountable.”

Subsequently, he said, the honor code is to work parallel to the Statement.

“I encourage students to work with the administration, take the honor pledge, and hold each other and ourselves accountable,” Dishell wrote in his report.

In a February interview with the Daily, Harper said she felt that the potential of an additional academic honor code could have significant overlap and even clash with the existing Statement. However, she agreed it would be beneficial to hold students accountable for their behavior in a more rigid and well-known way.

“What I think is fabulous about it is, I think having the conversation about that (is important),” Harper said. “What does it mean in our community to have an honor code? What does it mean to be honorable? And then, what do you do about it when someone is behaving in a dishonorable way?”

Dishell will also speak to the board about the need for a continued focus on mental health, a topic which he discussed on a personal level at last month’s meeting.

CSG has emphasized the need for improved mental health facilities on campus; this year’s efforts have included the launch of Wolverine Support Network in September.