At Thursday’s meeting of the University’s Board of Regents, the board will review a variety of renovation projects and a proposal for a new master’s degree offered by the Medical School. While University Provost Phil Hanlon will soon leave his post to serve as Dartmouth College’s president, the board will consider his temporary appointment as a special counsel to the president.

Regents to approve appointment for University Provost Phil Hanlon

Beginning on May 6, Hanlon will cede his current role to the incoming provost, current Vice Provost Martha Pollack, who was appointed to the position in January. Before leaving the University to become the 18th president of Dartmouth College later this summer, Hanlon will remain as an adviser during the transition until May 31. Hanlon will assume the presidency at Dartmouth on July 1.

In a communication to the regents, University President Mary Sue Coleman expressed “a mix of emotion” in recommending the change in title for Hanlon’s administrative appointment.

“Provost Hanlon has graciously agreed to provide counsel and advice during the transition to help assure administration continuity,” Coleman wrote.

In a November interview with The Michigan Daily, Hanlon said although it will be difficult to leave the University, the Dartmouth presidency presented a “terrific opportunity.” Hanlon has been a member of the University’s faculty since 1986.

“I love the University of Michigan,” Hanlon said. “I have the greatest admiration for the place; I admire what it aspires to; I admire the success it has. … The people here at the University of Michigan are terrific, and I’ll miss them very much.”

Hanlon will retain his appointments as an Arthur F. Thurnau Professor of Mathematics, Donald J. Lewis Professor of Mathematics and tenured professor of mathematics in the College of Literature, Science and the Arts until May 31.

Gelman appointed interim dean of LSA

The regents will also vote on the appointment of University psychology professor Susan Gelman as the interim dean of LSA. Gelman’s term will last from Sept. 1 to Aug. 31, 2014.

Gelman is currently the Heinz Werner Collegiate Chair of Psychology and LSA Professor of Psychology, with tenure. She earned a B.A. in psychology and classical Greek from Oberlin College and later received her Ph.D. in psychology from Stanford University. She has been a University faculty member sine 1984.

Teaching both graduate and undergraduate classes, Gelman’s studies and classes focus primarily on the development of thought and language, particularly with young children. She has published over 200 scholarly articles and has been on the editorial boards for multiple scientific journals. In addition, she was a panelist for the National Institute of Health, the National Science Foundation, and the Ford Foundation. Gelman has previously served as president of the Cognitive Development Society and, in 2012, was elected to the National Academy of Sciences.

At the University, Gelman has served as an adviser to undergraduate, graduate and doctoral fellows, receiving the Developmental Psychology Mentor Award from the American Psychological Association in 2012. She was also awarded the Excellence in Education Award, presented by LSA in 1995.

Gelman has also served as a member of the LSA executive committee and as an associate LSA dean from 2004-2007, responsible for faculty appointments and research in the social sciences. In this capacity, she supervised faculty hiring, promotions and retirements, in addition to encouraging mentoring, faculty research, and monitoring departmental planning and review processes. As chairman of the LSA committee on promotion and tenure, Gelman spearheaded the creation of a more transparent review process.

In a communication to the regents, Hanlon said he’s pleased Gelman has agreed to serve as interim dean.

“She is one of the most distinguished and highly visible scholars in the College,” Hanlon wrote. “With her years of experience as a faculty member and her knowledge of the College’s administration gained through her service as associate dean, I am confident that the College will maintain its momentum during this interim period.”

Board to approve new master’s degree program in Medical School

The regents will review a proposal to add a new Master of Health Professions Education degree program, coordinated by the Medical School. The program — with participation from the School of Nursing, the School of Dentistry, the School of Pharmacy and the School of Social Work — will train students to become “leaders in education” in various health professional fields.

In a communication from Hanlon and James Woolliscroft, dean of the Medical School, the two administrators wrote that the program will target professionals to give them “an innovative, competency-based curriculum” to enhance their development in their respective professional settings.

The proposed degree has been approved by the Medical School’s Executive Committee and has been reviewed by the Office of the Provost. With the approval of both the regents and the President’s Council of the State Universities of Michigan, the program will provide a new path for future medical educators.

With more than 2,800 faculty members in the University’s health professions schools and other faculty from other Michigan schools, Hanlon and Woolliscroft wrote that there’s a need for more formally trained educators.

The program will begin with about 12 students per class and later aims to expand to a stable matriculation rate of 25 per year. According to the proposal, the limited number will ensure each student is accepted on a selective basis and receives a focused education.

The program requires around 32 to 38 credit hours over a period of two to four years. The tuition rate hasn’t yet been set.

Regents to consider schematic design for William Clements Library renovation

Also pending approval at Thursday’s meeting is the schematic design for infrastructure improvements and addition for the William Clements Library. While the library houses a wide variety of material, it’s best known for its collection of original American history documents.

Built in 1923 by famed Detroit architect Albert Kahn, the library will undergo a $16.8-million renovation as approved by the regents at their November meeting.

The project will include infrastructure renovations that will follow historical preservation techniques. These upgrades will include improvements in accessibility, as well as fire detection and suppression, heating, plumbing, electrical, ventilation, air conditioning and security systems. In addition to an exterior restoration, the project plans to construct a 7,500-square-foot addition that will hold parts of the library’s collection.

In a communication to the regents, Timothy Slottow, the University’s executive vice president and chief financial officer, said the project will be funded by gifts and investment proceeds.

In an interview last month, Clements Library Director Kevin Graffagnino said much of the renovation will entail bringing the building into the 21st century.

“The architecture of this building is one of the treasures on campus; it has to look like this when it’s finished,” Graffagnino said. “After 90 years, we’ve outgrown this space, and it’s a beautiful old building, but it needs to be fixed up.”

Pending approval of the schematic designs, the project will provide 31 on-site construction jobs and is scheduled for completion in the summer of 2015.