The University Board of Regents voted unanimously today to institute a two-day fall study break every October.

Next fall, classes will not be held Monday and Tuesday, Oct. 14 and 15.

Regent Andrea Fisher Newman (R-Ann Arbor) said MSA President Matt Nolan and interim Provost Lisa Tedesco addressed all of her concerns regarding the break, one of which was that the four-day weekend would “lead to more free time and more partying.”

The regents also announced members of the presidential search advisory committee and recognized the achievements of outgoing President Lee Bollinger and the field hockey team for its recent national championship. Amazin” Blue also performed a national anthem medley at the meeting.

After accepting the resolution in his honor, Bollinger said, “Any time I get credit for four national athletic championships, I”m not going to fight it.”

Fifteen presidential search advisory committee candidates were chosen from a pool of 300 nominated applicants, including students, faculty and staff from the Ann Arbor, Dearborn and Flint campuses.

The two students on the committee will be Nolan and psychology doctoral student Lisa Jackson.

Other members of the committee, which is chaired by Rackham Dean Earl Lewis, are classical archeology Prof. Susan Alcock, Flint Prof. Paulette Cebulski, custodian supervisor Anocha Cornell, English Prof. Nicholas Delbanco, Depression Center Executive Director John Greden, Alumni Association President Saul Green, psychology department Chair Patricia Gurin, alum Michael Jandernoa, Dearborn communications Prof. Rashmi Luthra, Engineering Prof. Tresa Pollock, Social Work Prof. Lawrence Root, Life Sciences Commission Co-Chair William Roush and Undergraduate Admissions Director Ted Spencer.

The regents also approved measures to change the university bylaws regarding the Life Sciences Institute and the Board in Control of Intercollegiate Athletics, which will now be called the Advisory Board on Intercollegiate Athletics.

The Life Sciences Institute bylaw, which will establish an executive committee for the program, passed unanimously.

Changes to the athletic bylaws passed by a 7-1 margin, with Regent Katherine White (D-Ann Arbor) voting against the proposal. White said she wanted more time to hear feedback about the proposal, but other regents argued against the delay, saying they should leave a clean slate for interim President B. Joseph White, who takes over Jan. 1.

The athletic board will now serve to advise the president rather than vote on decisions themselves, despite concerns from the Senate Advisory Committee on University Affairs that the changes would take power away from the faulty, student and alumni members of the board.

Bollinger emphasized that the changes would mainly clarify the situation, adding that a future president will not use the amended bylaw to “seize more control of the athletic department.” The athletic director will still seek the faculty”s advice in regard to academic interests in athletics.

Other items approved by the regents include:

A plan to appoint Robert A.M. Stern Architects to begin designing a new building to house the Ford School of Public Policy at the northeastern corner of Hill and State streets. University Chief Financial Officer Robert Kasdin said Stern himself will take a personal interest in the project, given its importance. “This will really serve as a gateway to the University,” Kasdin said.

The scheduled renovation of Hill Auditorium, slated to begin in May 2002, which emphasizes the goal of restoring the building to architect Albert Kahn”s original vision while updating the building to increase wheelchair accessibility, install a sound lock, create a lower-level lobby and add more restroom facilities.

A resolution to begin building a pedestrian walkway over Washtenaw Avenue to link the Life Sciences Institute with the rest of the Hill area.