Last Wednesday, Michigan coach Tommy Amaker announced that junior point guard Avery Queen had been dismissed from the team for an unspecified rules violation.

“We appreciate Avery’s efforts here at the University and wish him and his family well,” Amaker said. “There will be no further comment on this matter.”

The announcement came just a day after the Wolverines had returned from their season-opening tournament, the Paradise Jam in the Virgin Islands.

Queen came off the bench in all three Michigan games in the tournament, averaging 11.3 minutes, but did not score.

The junior shared starting point guard duties with Mike Gotfredson last season, averaging 26.3 minutes and just over four points per game.

In the wake of Queen’s dismissal, the Wolverines were left with the task of determining who would back up their starting point guard, freshman Daniel Horton.

As of Saturday’s game against Western Michigan, those duties belong to freshman walk-on Sherrod Harrell.

But the make up of the Wolverines roster will still force Michigan into giving Horton significant minutes at the point guard position. With the dismissal of Queen and the graduation of Gotfredson after last year, the Wolverines are lacking a point guard with experience.

“We need Daniel as our point guard,” Amaker said. “We’re not going to have the luxury of experimenting with (Horton at the shooting guard position).”

Dom bombed: The Wolverines’ offensive struggles so far this season have left them desperate for someone to consistently knock down outside jumpers.

Sophomore Dommanic Ingerson is capable of doing just that. But the guard has yet to play this year and was in street clothes during the loss to Western Michigan.

“He’s been injured – we’re trying to determine the severity of it,” Amaker said. “He hasn’t felt well enough to get out there in practice. His knee and Achilles tendon have been bothering him.”

Ingerson played sparingly in the Wolverines’ exhibition victories over Wayne State and the Nike Elite.

He played in all 29 of Michigan’s games a year ago, averaging 8.1 points a game in 16.2 minutes.

MAC Truck: Michigan’s loss to the Broncos dropped the Wolverines to a meager 1-3 against the Mid-American Conference in the last two years.

Saturday’s loss was the second straight to Western Michigan. The Broncos knocked off Michigan 79-73 last year. The Wolverines then fell to Bowling Green five days later.

Michigan salvaged the year against the MAC with an 88-58 romp over Eastern Michigan on Dec. 12, 2001.

The Wolverines still have Bowling Green, as well as fellow MAC teams Central Michigan and Eastern Michigan remaining on this year’s schedule.