The Ronald McDonald House Charity, an organization that strives to improve the health and well being of children, just received a boost to the funds that go toward helping hospitalized kids.

The Psi Upsilon Freternity raised $1,400 through Winterfest, an event the fraternity has hosted almost every year for the past 10 to 15 years in their backyard. This year eight other fraternities and six sororities donated $250 to compete in various games on an ice rink in the fraternity’s back yard.

After the event, Psi U used the money to buy bed sheets, snack food, paper towels, coffee and more to help “ease the burden” of those staying in the Ronald McDonald House of Ann Arbor, Psi U President Luke Donahue said. He and other fraternity members delivered the items to the house yesterday.

Donahue said that Winterfest not only raised a lot of money for the charity, it was also a fun way to bring the Greek community together.

“You usually don’t see more than two or three houses getting together for an event,” Donahue said.

Josh Kappel, social chair of Psi U said the event’s turnout and results were better than expected.

“It was an event that going in not a lot of us knew what to expect because we didn’t have it last year,” he said. “This year we met and passed all our expectations. The Greek community had a great time and it’s nice that they were all able to give money to a good cause.”

Originally, the fraternity brothers planned on donating the money directly to the Ronald McDonald charity but then they decided that buying the items themselves would more beneficial.

“We thought it would be more meaningful to them and to us to go out and buy the supplies they needed that are listed on their website and drop it off there directly,” Kappel said. “It should make more of a difference and should be a lot easier for them since they’ll get the supplies directly rather than having to go and buy them themselves with the money we raised.”

On its wish list, the Ronald McDonald house asked for items like kitchen supplies, bathroom and bedroom linens and family entertainment items.

Donahue said the fraternity chose the charity because of its impact on the local community. It houses parents of hospitalized and sick children in Ann Arbor for a low price.

“It’s a larger charity that’s well known and well founded and also since it’s local it directly helps our community,” Donahue said.