During Central Student Government’s Tuesday meeting, the body considered a proposal to create a new University spirit song and discussed a resolution that would request the University release results from student-completed course evaluations.

After prompting discussion at last week’s CSG meeting, the topic of “Hail and Unite” — a proposal that aims to create an additional “spirit song” for use at University athletics events — resurfaced Tuesday night.

The “Hail and Unite” project was initially introduced with a resolution requesting $2,750 in funding to support a promotional video, recruit donations and provide accommodations for potential visiting contributors.

This resolution was later pulled after “Hail and Unite” stirred debate over the future of the University’s fight song, “The Victors.”

In an interview with The Michigan Daily last week, LSA senior Mike Weinberg, the project’s founder, emphasized the song was not intended to replace the fight song.

The revised proposal asks CSG to endorse the song rather than fund it.

On Tuesday, Weinberg said the project no longer needed money from CSG for promotional materials because recent media attention generated a great deal of publicity.

CSG representative Andrew Loeb, an LSA senior, questioned whether or not the song would benefit the community, given the mixed response among students and alumni.

“We’ve found thus far that the biggest problem is lack of information, ” Weinberg said. “So far, whenever we’ve pitched or talked to people, they love the idea.”

The legislation was referred to the resolutions committee and will most likely be voted on during the next CSG meeting.

Course evaluations

A second resolution proposed during Tuesday’s meeting asked the assembly to support the release of course evaluation ratings for professors and Graduate Student Instructors.

The legislation was composed by CSG president Bobby Dishell, a Public Policy senior; CSG vice president Emily Lustig, an LSA senior, and representative Steven Halperin, an LSA sophomore.

The resolution supports an action request that will eventually go in front of the Senate Advisory Committee on University Affairs, asking SACUA to distribute summaries of numerical scores and response rates for the following questions: “1. Overall, this was an excellent course; 2. Overall, the instructor was an excellent teacher; 3. I learned a great deal from this course; 4. I had a strong desire to take this course.”

The authors of the legislation felt it would be useful for students to see the feedback when choosing classes for future semesters.

“We think this will help us get away from more biased websites like ratemyprofessors.com and myedu.com,” Lustig said.

Representatives had questions about whether the initiative could increase the student response rate to the course evaluations. Lustig said this was a factor that could potentially be mentioned in the final resolution.

The legislation was referred to the resolutions committee and will be voted on during the next CSG meeting.