A professor at the University of New Hampshire was found not guilty of stalking and disorderly conduct last week. The professor had allegedly threatened to kill a University official who he believed caused him to receive a parking ticket, the New Hampshire Union Leader reported. John Collins, the professor, allegedly also kicked a trash can and shouted threats at Stacia Sower, the college’s interim associate dean of research.

Collins has faced sanctions from the university. He was stripped of his title as the chair of the college’s biochemistry and molecular biology department.

DONATIONS

A New Jersey court is preparing to hear arguments from the family that gave $35 million to Princeton University in 1961 and believes the college has misused its money since then, Inside Higher Ed reported. That donation is now worth about $900 million.

The Robertson family, the heirs of Marie Robertson, who gave the original gift, has argued that the college has not followed through on the original condition of the gift, which was that it be used to support graduate education at Princeton’s Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs. They say the money was supposed to be spent specifically on training to prepare graduate students to work in the federal government but was spent on other programs.

DALAI LAMA

The Dalai Lama, a Buddhist monk and leader of Tibet’s exiled government, joined the faculty of Emory University in a ceremony last week. The Dalai Lama, a recipient of the Nobel Peace Prize, was named a Presidential Distinguished Professor, meaning he will teach students enrolled in Emory’s study-abroad program based in Dharamsala, India and will occasionally return to Emory for special events and lectures.

The Chinese government voiced anger at the United States after the announcement. The Dalai Lama led an uprising against Chinese rule in 1959 and was forced to flee the country after it failed.

CHIEF ILLINIWEK

The University of Illinois allowed images of Chief Illiniwek, the Illinois mascot who was banned earlier this year, to appear on floats during the college’s Homecoming celebration this weekend.

The college originally intended to ban representations of the mascot, which was retired for its appropriation of Native American imagery, but reversed that decision because officials felt it was a violation of free speech to restrict the use of the mascot on floats, The Daily Illini reported.

Gabe Nelson