Minnesota34 (OT)

Michigan28

This week, Daily Football Writers Arun Gopal and Raphy Goodstein took Michigan”s upcoming game to the PlayStation 2 (coaches Schwartz and Phillips needed a bye week, and a drink or three).

For this week”s matchup, coach Goodstein led the home Wolverines and coach Gopal took the helm for the visiting Golden Gophers.

Play of the game After stopping the Wolverines on their first possession of overtime, Minnesota won the game when QB No. 7 hit WR No. 80 with a 25-yard touchdown pass on a post route, just over the outstretched arm of Michigan”s CB No. 21.

Most unrealistic play of the game With five seconds left in the first half, Minnesota had the ball at Michigan”s 6-yard line. Michigan blitzed everyone, so the Golden Gophers had four different receivers standing alone in the endzone. Somehow, the Wolverines came up with a sack.

Player of the game Minnesota WR No. 3, who caught 10 balls for 309 yards and two touchdowns. He is still shaking his head at how bad Michigan”s secondary is.

Michigan key stats

Passing: QB No. 16 13-of-41, 323 yards passing, 1 TD, 1 rushing TD

Rushing: RB No. 23 5 carries, 34 yards

Receiving: WR No. 4 3 receptions, 109 yards, 1 TD TE No. 84 3 receptions, 100 yards

Defense: FS No. 26, 5 tackles (1 for loss) LB No. 43, 3 tackles (1 for loss), 1 sack CB No. 3, 3 tackles, 1 interception

Minnesota key stats

Passing: QB No. 7 16-of-31, 433 yards passing, 5 TDs

Rushing: RB No. 32 8 carries, 23 yards

Receiving: WR No. 3 10 receptions, 309 yards, 2 TDs WR No. 80 5 receptions, 96 yards, 2 TDs

Defense: CB No. 38, 4 tackles (1 for loss), 1 sack CB No. 35, 3 tackles (1 for loss), 1 sack, 1 interception

Press conference quotes:

Michigan head coach Raphy Goodstein:

(Long, pissed-off look, followed by lots of glowering):

I deserved better. There should have been no time left! EA Sports will hear from me. They always do what”s right.

Well, I guess they get the Jug back. Does anybody know where that is? They”re going to want it back. What”s that? The O-line coach”s kid has been using it for a spittoon?

Angelique, I always tell you this there are no injuries.

I though QB No. 16 was outstanding. That is an excellent football team we just played. You guys always like to criticize. I like to give credit. Arun is building an outstanding program there (assuming he doesn”t leave for the next job opening).

Minnesota head coach Arun Gopal:

Wow, I”d heard that Michigan had a suspect secondary, but this is ridiculous. I probably could have gained over 100 yards receiving against those yahoos wait, what”s this “Little Brown Jug”? I thought it was just a restaurant.

I”d like to also send a special shout-out to the athletic department at Ohio State. What a great school I sure would love to coach there someday wait, did I say that out loud?

Goddamn, now I have to go back to Minnesota. Have you ever been to Minnesota? It”s not nearly as cool as “Fargo” makes it out to be. But, the accent is damn hilarious, ya betcha…

Two more wins, and we could be headed to the Alamo Bowl. Nothing quite like getting bent over by Texas to usher in the holiday season. On the plus side, I hear Riverwalk is pretty sweet.