The Chicago-based consulting firm A.T. Kearney Executive Search Corp. will help the University Board of Regents identify candidates for the soon-to-be vacant presidential position, University officials announced Friday.

“We”re absolutely thrilled. We”re very pleased to be serving the University as it undertakes this important search,” said A.T. Kearney”s vice president and managing director, Shelly Storbeck, who will be heading the search.

A.T. Kearney was selected after the regents held interviews with the firm and other prospective consultant firms.

The relationship between A.T. Kearney and the University is not a new one.

“It has assisted the University in various other searches at different levels, and so there is experience there,” said Regent Olivia Maynard (D-Goodrich). She added that A.T. Kearney had handled those searches well and was very forthright in working with the respective search committees. “They had really followed through.”

A.T. Kearney was involved in the last provost search, which brought Nancy Cantor to the University. The firm also worked with the University in the searches for the current chancellor of the Flint campus and the deans of the College of Literature, Science and the Arts and the School of Business Administration.

Business Prof. Joel Slemrod, who chaired the search that resulted in the appointment of Business School Dean Robert Dolan in May, worked with A.T. Kearney during the eight-month search.

“I thought they were very professional and responsive to our needs, and I was quite satisfied with the services they provided our committee,” Slemrod said.

Maynard said A.T. Kearney could also work efficiently to help complete the search by next spring.

A.T. Kearney has never worked with the University to find a president, but it does have experience with other institutions, including Dartmouth College, Duke University, Georgetown University, the University of Massachusetts system, the University of North Carolina system and the University of Washington.

Storbeck said a presidential search differs from others in that presidential searches attract more candidates, and the candidates tend to come from the highest tiers of an organization.

The announcement of the consulting firm puts the search one step closer to starting. The regents announced at their Nov. 15 meeting that they will act as a committee of whole to form the presidential search committee. At the same meeting, they announced Rackham Dean Earl Lewis as the chair of the presidential search advisory committee, which has yet to be formed.

Storbeck said a core team of three or four people would work most closely with the search, but they would take advantage of the resources of the full staff. Preliminary work is already underway with advertisements being drafted to get the word out about the search, Storbeck said.

A.T. Kearney”s consulting fee is one-third of the first year”s salary for the person hired, in addition to travel, advertising and express mail expenses.

University President Lee Bollinger will leave the University of Michigan at the end of the semester and is to become Columbia University”s president July 1, 2002. Former Business School Dean B. Joseph White will serve as interim president until a permanent replacement is found.