A 29-year-old Ypsilanti man was fatally shot at about 9:30 p.m. Wednesday in a gunfight that occurred less than a mile from North Campus, police said.

Kelly Fraser
The scene of the crime. (GRAPHIC BY ALLISON GHAMAN/Daily)
Kelly Fraser
Police taped off the crime scene on Jones Drive Wednesday night following the shooting death of a 29-year-old Ypsilanti man. Police have said that Engineering student Andrew Robert Myrick is the lead suspect in the case. Myrick is still at large. (RODRIG

The main suspect in the case, University Engineering student Andrew Robert Myrick, remained at-large as of last night. No arrests have been made.

Residents from the 1500 block of Jones Drive, near the corner of Plymouth Road, called police Wednesday night to report hearing several gunshots. Police entered the residence, located at 1598 Jones Dr, and found the victim deceased.

About 12-15 shots were fired at the scene and a weapon similar to an AK-47 was found inside the duplex, police said. Bullet holes were also found on the outside of the red brick house. Police said they found signs of forced entry at the residence and believe the shooting could be the result of an attempted robbery.

Sgt. Rich Kinsey, of the Ann Arbor Police Department, said police think the suspect and the victim knew one another but don’t know how they knew each other.

“We’re trying to figure out what the connection was,” he said.

An arrest warrant is being sought for Myrick, the last known resident of the home where the shooting occurred.

At a press conference yesterday morning, police encouraged Myrick to turn himself in for questioning.

“He’s out and about, and we’re out and about looking for him,” Ann Arbor Police Chief Barnett Jones said.

Myrick is a 28-year-old white male who is six feet tall and weighs about 240 pounds.

According to a crime alert issued by the University’s Department of Public Safety, he has shoulder-length hair. He is from Melvindale, Mich., according to the University’s student directory.

Kinsey said Myrick has a criminal record with other local police departments, but declined to elaborate.

“There have been some issues with Mr. Myrick in the past,” said Kinsey.

Kinsey said law enforcement officials have contacted several people who claimed to have heard gunshots Wednesday night. He said drugs may have played a part in the incident, but that the case is still under investigation.

“We have a number of promising leads and we’ll continue to follow up on them,” he said.

AAPD Lt. Michael Logghe said Myrick should be considered armed and dangerous, but that police don’t want people to panic because the shooting may have been an isolated incident.

The street where the shooting occurred, Jones Drive, is not home to many students. The DPS crime alert advised people on campus to “look assertive and be aware of your surroundings” and walk with another person if possible.

Kinsey said the victim’s family has been notified of the incident, but police won’t release his name until his extended family can learn of the situation.

Anyone with any information on the shooting or Myrick’s whereabouts should call the Ann Arbor Police Department’s tip line at 734-996-3199.

– Mara Gay and Joe Stapleton contributed to this report.