After two students were mugged late at night near campus earlier this week, police think a single man might be targeting students.

Detective Richard Kinsey of the Ann Arbor Police Department said yesterday that the rarity of muggings near campus make police think the two robberies were connected. He said a robber might be looking for students walking home from a bar or party.

“I know how things go in the city, and we don’t have many street robberies like this,” he said. “If it is the same guy, he’s going after lone people at night, so walk in groups,” Kinsey said.

Kinsey said police are doing everything they can to apprehend the suspect, but wouldn’t say whether the department has increased patrols or changed procedures since the robberies. He said he wouldn’t want the suspect to know anything about the department’s strategy.

“My confidence is high that this guy will get caught,” he said.

University Police issued campus crime alerts after both robberies.

In the first incident, an unknown man approached a University student sitting on his porch on Oakland Avenue near East University Avenue and Arch Street at about 3 a.m. Sunday.
The man brandished a handgun and demanded the student’s wallet. After the student gave the man his wallet, the man fled on foot.

In a second incident, an unknown man approached a student walking on Washtenaw Avenue near Hill Street shortly after midnight Wednesday.

The man pressed a cold object against the student’s back and demanded money. After the victim gave the man money, the suspect fled the scene on foot, according to a crime alert issued early yesterday morning.
Kinsey wouldn’t comment on the details of the crimes because investigations are ongoing.

The suspect in the first incident is described as a 6-foot-3, 195-pound white man, about 30 years old. He was wearing a gray T-shirt, jeans and a black baseball hat.

The suspect in the second incident is described as a “possibly white” man between 6 feet and 6 feet 4 inches tall. He was wearing a gray hooded sweatshirt and black warm-up pants.