Freshman Delta Delta Delta sorority pledges comprised the majority of female guests at an Oct. 25 unregistered semiformal event hosted by the Beta Theta Pi fraternity, three pledges of the sorority said yesterday.

Two 18-year-old Delta Delta Delta pledges have accused two men at the party of drugging and sexually assaulting them inside the fraternity house on State Street.

“We got there around 10:30 and it was kind of decorated. The guys were in ties, we had dresses and skirts,” said a Delta Delta Delta pledge.

The men had set up a bar of mixed drinks, she said, and the environment of the semiformal appeared safe.

“I guess that was the problem we let our guard down. We usually are looking out for each other,” she said.

“Some of their pledge guys were pouring our drinks,” she added. “I didn”t think anything of it. It seemed fine.”

She and another freshman, who both spoke on the condition of anonymity, said they were told that at the party that the Beta Theta Pi pledges were either encouraged to or had the intention of getting the female guests drunk.

“I didn”t drink that much,” a third freshman said. “I told the guys, “I don”t want to get drunk tonight.”

“I didn”t get out of control. But the next morning I felt so sick like a massive hangover even though I wasn”t drunk the night before.”

Beta Theta Pi president Michael Basford would not comment about the actions of the fraternity”s members or pledges at the event.

“When the investigation is over, we”ll release a formal statement,” Basford said.

Beta Theta Pi voluntarily placed itself on social probation last week and will not hold any events at least until the investigation is complete.

Delta Delta Delta has also taken similar action, said Panhellenic Association President Stephanie Deal.

“They”re taking time to reflect on their risk-management policies and the way they look out for their members in social situations. And they”re also reviewing, revising and reworking their policies right now,” Deal said.

The Oct. 25 party at the fraternity”s house, 604 S. State, was not registered with the Interfraternity Council”s Social Responsibility Committee, a requirement for all Greek events where alcohol is served.

A Delta Delta Delta pledge who did not have any alcohol at the party said her friends did not remember much the next morning even though she had observed they were not drinking heavily. Two of the women said the incident has encouraged them and many of their pledge sisters to reconsider their personal safety at events and drinking at parties.

But one of the pledges said she would still attend another event sponsored by Beta Theta Pi.

“It”s not the issue of a Tri-Delt and Beta thing. It”s between those four people,” the alleged victims and suspects, she said.

“I would go back there if I was given a beer I had opened myself,” she said. “You have to be so careful with yourself because no one is going to be looking out for you, especially the person with your drink.”

She said designating one person who will not drink at parties and going out in smaller groups could help ensure safety.

Ann Arbor Police Sgt. Michael Logghe said Friday that no charges had been filed for either assault yet. Neither of the women tested positive for GHB, a common date-rape drug, but he said the possibility that a different drug was placed in the drink has not been ruled out.

He said the first woman to report the assault, classified as third-degree criminal sexual conduct, said she knew the man who assaulted her. Logghe could not confirm whether they were friends or if they met that night, but he said they were acquaintances at some point.

Third-degree criminal sexual conduct is a felony punishable up to 15 years in prison.