TALLAHASSEE – Senior forward Brent Petway, the vocal leader of the Michigan men’s basketball team, was not pleased with the effort his teammates gave during last night’s loss to Florida State.

“I thought we were a little casual with the (ball),” Petway said. “And I thought at a couple of times we weren’t playing too hard. There were some people that weren’t giving us their maximum effort despite people trying to tell others (to play harder).”

Petway was then asked how a team with so many veterans could exert less-than-maximum effort.

“I can’t really express (why it happened),” Petway said. “To each his own, I guess. You try to be a good teammate and tell them to pick it up and sometimes they just don’t want to do it. What can you do?”

Fellow senior Dion Harris disagreed.

“I didn’t notice anything,” Harris said. “I thought that everybody, for the most part, played hard and tried to give it their all.”

Their own worst enemy: Whether it was a result of effort or poor execution, the Wolverines shot themselves in the foot numerous times in the first half, even though they had chances to build on some early momentum.

When the Seminoles pulled within two points early in the game, Harris hit two consecutive 3-pointers to give Michigan its biggest lead of the night, 16-8.

And with the Wolverines trailing 23-21 with just under five minutes to play in the first half, Harris tied the game with a jumper.

But even Harris on a good day couldn’t save the Wolverines from themselves. After that game-tying jumper, Michigan committed three first-half turnovers which resulted in an Isaiah Swann 3-pointer, an Al Thornton layup and a Thornton dunk. All three plays brought the crowd to its feet and put the Wolverines into a deeper hole.

“We gave them a lot of things in transition,” Harris said. “We turned the ball over and they’re a great transition team, and that’s what they did. They were able to get layups and dunks, and knock some (3-pointers) down.”

Despite shooting 52 percent from the floor in the first half (50 percent from beyond the arc), Michigan’s 10 turnovers to just three assists ultimately doomed the team.

The Wolverines’ shooting in the second half didn’t help. Their field-goal shooting dropped to 32 percent, and they committed 11 more turnovers.

“We turned the ball over a lot from our perimeter players and we weren’t able to initiate offense because of (Florida State’s) pressure,” Michigan coach Tommy Amaker said. “When those things happen, it’s a formula for disaster, especially on the road.”

Notes: Last night’s contest not only marked senior Courtney Sims’ final game for the Wolverines. It was also his 132nd straight game, meaning Sims has played in every single game since joining the team. … Last night’s meeting between Michigan and Florida State wasn’t the first time the two schools have met in the National Invitational Tournament. The Wolverines defeated the Seminoles 82-73 in the 1997 NIT finals. But because of NCAA sanctions, Michigan’s win and championship were struck from its records. . Michigan’s record on the road dropped to 2-7 this season.