Junior defenseman Greg Pateryn was averaging just one point every four games coming into the No. 11 Michigan hockey team’s game with Western Michigan on Friday. Apparently, Pateryn decided to wait until the 90th game of his career to show his offensive side.

He had four points in Michigan’s 6-3 win over Western Michigan, including the fourth goal of his career.

Early in the first period, with Michigan on the penalty kill, Pateryn wrapped a puck around the boards in his own zone. The puck hopped over a Bronco defenseman’s stick at the blue line.

The puck came to senior forward Scooter Vaughan just as his penalty was expiring. He stepped out of the box, the puck came to him and it created an instant two-on-one. Vaughan crossed the blue line, and ripped a wrist shot past Western Michigan goaltender Jerry Kuhn. Point number one for Pateryn.

Just two minutes later, sophomore forward Kevin Lynch banged home a rebound off a Pateryn shot to make it 2-0. Point number two for Pateryn. Even with it creating a two-goal lead Michigan wouldn’t relinquish, it was perhaps more important for Lynch than the rest of his team. It was his first point in 18 games.

In the second period, Pateryn picked off a pass in the neutral zone and got a rush going the other way. The result was a goal redirected in by Pateryn as he drove to the net. Point number three.

Fifteen seconds later, Pateryn’s shot was deflected in by sophomore forward Chris Brown giving him his fourth and final point. But he wasn’t done making an impact on the game.

The Broncos came charging back, out-playing and out-shooting (17-8) Michigan in the second period en route to scoring two of their own. Pateryn was on the ice for the second goal, losing his man in front of the net.

But the Wolverines finished the period up two goals and expanded the lead throughout the third period. Lynch scored his second of the game while junior forward Luke Glendening added an empty net goal.

The win pushes Michigan’s conference record up to 17-7-1-0 and its overall record to 20-9-4. With Miami idle this weekend, the Wolverines have taken sole control of second place in the CCHA.Western Michigan (9-7-9-5 CCHA, 15-8-10 overall) remains in fourth with the loss.