LA SALLE (AP) Family and friends of the 29 people killed in the Jan. 9, 1997 crash of Comair Flight 3272 gathered yesterday afternoon in recognition of the crash”s fifth anniversary.

Among the mourners were Anand and Dipti Sharangpani of Plymouth, who lost their 21-year-old daughter Arati in the crash. She was a senior at the University and was coming home from an internship at Procter & Gamble Co. in Cincinnati.

The Sharangpanis said their daughter was a well-rounded and well-liked student who spent a year studying in Germany. She also was a residence adviser at Mary Markley Residence Hall and was active in the University”s Indian students group.

After the service, the couple headed for Ann Arbor to visit Markley, where a lounge is named for Arati, and to meet with some of her college friends.

The group of about 50 people, which also included emergency workers who responded to the scene, exchanged hugs and kisses. Many had not seen each other since a memorial was dedicated in May 1997.

Participants brought photos and other mementos of those they had lost and placed them at the metal plaque bearing the victims” names. People left several notes and cards, as well as a tin of cookies and a bag of sunflower seeds.

Arlene Miasel, mother of the flight”s pilot, 42-year-old Capt. Dann Carlsen, organized the gathering.