Our Campus, Our Coverage — a national student activism campaign for women’s rights that aims to bring attention to health care reform — launched operations at the University Monday night during an event at the School of Public Health.

Social Work student Samantha Wellman and Public Health student Rachel Ruderman organized the event, which was sponsored by women’s and reproductive rights student groups in the School of Public Health and the School of Social Work, as well as the University chapter of Students for Choice.

“The main goal of (the campaign) is to make sure we’re educating women on college campuses about what sort of coverage they have available to them, what they can do to advocate for themselves,” Wellman said. “It’s important for you to advocate for your needs and your own plan.”

The campaign was created by Raising Women’s Voices, a national women’s rights initiative that aims to make sure women’s concerns on health care are heard as the Affordable Care Act is implemented.

Throughout 2013, students at schools across the country, including University of Alabama, Harvard University and University of California, Davis, organized events to learn about health-care policies and their effects on students.

Wellman and Ruderman were joined by University alum Lauren Bacans, a Planned Parenthood field organizer, who explained the effects the ACA will have on health care for students, specifically women. Bacans works with women’s health groups on campus, including Students for Choice.

“We are doing a lot of outreach concerning the Affordable Care Act,” she said. “We have enrollment activities throughout the state, and we are really trying to get as many of the uninsured insured as we can.”

Under the ACA, women will have access to a variety of services completely covered by insurance, including sexually transmitted infection counseling, HIV screening and counseling; breastfeeding support, supplies and counseling; contraceptives, and contraceptive education and counseling.