Harvard will have most sports teams in nation

The Massachusetts Institute of Technology will cut some of its varsity athletic teams by May 1, The Tech reported. The decision will result in Harvard University having the most varsity athletic teams in the nation.

Currently, MIT and Harvard are tied with 41 athletic teams. However, MIT athletic officials plan on cutting five to eight teams in an effort to reduce spending during the next three years by $1.45 million.

The Tech said the May 1 decision is problematic for recently admitted students looking to attend MIT to play a specific sport.

Julie Soriero, head of MIT’s athletics department, said in the MIT article, “MIT understands the timeliness of the decisions, and we intend to be respectful of that.”

MIT Department of Athletics, Physical Education, and Recreation administrators will determine which sports to cut based on expenses, necessary resources, team performance and student interest.

Protesters rally for respect for Asian-Americans

Around 200 students and faculty gathered last Friday to protest hate crimes and discrimination targeted toward Asian-American students and other minority groups at Tufts University, The Tufts Daily reported.

The protesters called for Tuft’s administration to stop the racism and hatred from continuing to spread throughout the university.

Recently, a drunken student shouted racial slurs at a group of 13 Korean students, which resulted in a fight between both parties.

Junior Jenny Lau, president-elect of the Asian American Alliance, told The Tufts Daily that the rally was organized in response to the incident and the growing discomfort the Asian-American community is experiencing at Tufts.

“As students, we have the right to feel respected and safe on … campus,” she said in the article. “The Asian-American voice is only one example of many voices of people who have been … marginalized.”

Milking system inventors sue Cornell

Two inventors are suing Cornell University for allegedly slandering the product they developed for milking cows, The Cornell Daily Sun reported.

In the 1990s, Cornell researchers studied the milking system CoPulsation to determine whether it reduces infections in the udders of cows.

If proven successful, the technology could potentially increase milk production. However, Cornell’s results showed it was no more effective at reducing infections in cows than other conventional systems.

The inventors disagree and claim Cornell is lying about the findings because of financial reasons.

Cornell earns a profit from farmers who are required to test their cows for infections. CoPulsation inventor Bill Gehm said the university would lose income if the rate of infections decreases.

“Cornell wants us out of the business because we’re in competition with what they’re trying to do,” he said in the article.