An Editor’s Note is appended to this article. The Daily no longer stands by this content.

Physicists successfully teleport

Quantum physicists at the University of Maryland successfully teleported information between two ions, The Diamondback reported. The results of six University of Maryland physicists’ study was published in “Science” magazine last month. The feat was achieved last September.
Researcher Steven Olmschenk said the long gap between success and publication was caused by the amount of proof required for such a big claim.
“We couldn’t do it just once,” Olmschenk said. “To prove we really did it, we had to do it a few thousand times.”
The team achieved successful teleportation 1,285 times in more than 250 consecutive hours of lab time.
The physicists’ success opens doors to new computing technologies. Scientists are interested in using charged atoms rather than electronic circuits to build computers.

Southern Illinois University plagiarizes definition of plagiarism

After suffering through several plagiarism scandals, Southern Illinois University released a 17-page report on dealing with the issue. In the report is a definition of plagiarism, explaining what constitutes plagiarism, The Chronicle of Higher Education reported.
But that definition appears to be plagiarized. The 139-word definition used in the report is nearly identical to the definition adopted by Indiana University in 2005.
Whole passages of the 139-word definition match verbatim. Some passages are very similar, but have slightly different wording. For instance, Indiana University’s policy says: “What is considered ‘common knowledge’ may differ from course to course.” Southern Illinois’s report changes the end of the sentence to “subject to subject.”
The chairman of the committee that put the report together, Arthur M. “Lain” Adkins, said he didn’t know of Indiana University’s definition.

First-year student retention rates drop

The overall percentage of college freshmen who return to the same college for their second year of higher education has declined — again — according to the results of an annual survey released last week, The Chronicle of Higher Education reported.
In the lowest overall retention rate since 1989, the study found that 66 percent of first-year college students returned to the same school for their second year last year.
In the 2007-2008 academic year, about 68 percent of first year students returned, the study, conducted by ACT Inc., a nonprofit testing-and-research group, found.