University of Maryland bans pornographic movie in fear of losing funds

A pornographic movie screening was cancelled at the University of Maryland, College Park last Thursday after the State Legislature threatened to withhold funds from the university if the film was shown, the Diamondback reported.

An Amendment proposed by Sen. Andy Harris stated that funding for Maryland colleges and universities would be stopped if they showed XXX-rated films.

“I don’t believe in censorship,” Maryland Senate President Mike Miller said in the article, “but at the same time, I don’t think that film was appropriate in a state building on a state campus.”

Following the movie “Pirates II: Stagnetti’s Revenge”, Planned Parenthood was scheduled to lead a discussion about safe sex practices.

“We thought it was an opportunity to have a dialogue revolving around pornography as a film genre and promote student discussion,” said Linda Clement, vice president for Student Affairs.

To protest the administration’s decision to pull the movie, students are organizing a screening of the film for Monday night.

Spartans celebrate basketball victory in Detroit

An estimated crowd of 5,000 Spartans gathered along the Detroit riverfront Saturday night to celebrate the advancement of Michigan State University’s basketball team to the National Championship, the State News reported.

After winning 82-73 against the University of Connecticut, the green-and-white-clad crowd of fans threw beer cups in the air and screamed in happiness.

The party on the riverfront, called the Big Dance, will occur again on Monday night for Spartan fans to watch the game in downtown Detroit.

UCLA sponsors green job fair

The University of California, Los Angeles will host a green job fair because of the increasing popularity of careers involving renewable energy, the Daily Bruin reported.

A green job, also referred to as a green-collar job, refers to a career that deals with alternative energy or environmental issues.

Kathy Sims, director of UCLA’s Career Center, said students have expressed a heightened interest in green jobs over the past few years.

“There is a growing social consciousness that puts sustainability on a high-priority list,” Sims said in the article.