ASU refuses to give Obama honorary degree

Arizona State University will not award President Barack Obama an honorary degree when he gives the University’s commencement speech on May 13, ASU’s online newspaper, asuwebdevil.com, reported.

ASU spokeswoman Sharon Keeler said in the article that the University awards degrees to recognize the accomplishments of individuals throughout their lifetime.

“Because President Obama’s body of work is yet to come, it’s inappropriate to recognize him at this time,” she said.

Keeler said past recipients have not necessarily been affiliated with ASU but have had life-long established careers.

Last year, James Duderstadt, University of Michigan president emeritus and a professor of science and engineering, received an honorary degree from ASU for his international leadership in higher education.

Although Obama will not receive a degree from ASU, the University of Notre Dame will present him with one when he gives their commencement address May 17.

Dixie State removes Rebel mascot

Dixie State College of Utah replaced Rodney the Rebel — their Confederate mascot — with a black bull called Ragin’ Red, The Chronicle of Higher Education reported.

In a 5-to-4 vote, trustees at the college decided to officially change the mascot in an effort to welcome diversity as Dixie State switches from a community college to a four-year university.

Steve Johnson, director of public relations for the University, said in The Chronicle article, “The trustees felt that the names Dixie and Rebel together would hinder that future.”

Rebel fans have expressed opposition on the Internet to their new nickname Red Storm, and officials say they may be willing to compromise by choosing a different mascot.

Tufts study finds alcohol helps bones

A study at Tufts University has found that some alcoholic beverages may decrease aging effects, The Tufts Daily reported.

The research found that moderate consumption of beer and wine may help maintain bone density, which usually reduces as a person ages.

Researcher Katherine Tucker said she found hard liquor has a minimal effect.

“Wine and beer are not as finely distilled (as hard liquor), so beer contains vitamins and silicon, which are protective of bones,” she told The Tufts Daily.

Results showed that postmenopausal women who drank more than two beers a day exhibited a five to eight percent higher bone mineral density than women who did not drink.

However, the article warns that heavy drinking can also lead to osteoporosis and a higher risk of breast cancer.