New eco-friendly rules implemented at Cornell’s Dragon Day

Cornell University’s Dragon Day parade was a little different this year, The Cornell Daily Sun reported.

The 108-year tradition involves architecture students marching a giant dragon creation through Cornell’s campus and then setting it on fire.

This year, the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation enforced a new regulation that prohibited the burning of toxic materials like the paint and glue the students used to construct the dragon.

The students decided to burn the dragon’s nest instead, which they built out of lumber and hay.

“I wish (the parade) wasn’t as regulated as it was this year,” said Joe DeSense, a Cornell fifth-year student, in the Cornell Daily Sun article. “It used to be a lot freer in the past.”

Iraq War anniversary provokes protesters

The sixth anniversary of the Iraq War was met with opposition on University of California at Berkeley’s campus last week, The Daily Californian reported.

Several protesters sprayed red paint on the Berkeley Marine Recruitment Center and broke the building’s windows.

In addition to the vandalism, about 70 people gathered to
demonstrate their opposition to the war outside the center last Thursday.

The demonstrators said they were not involved with the damage done to the building.

“We don’t break windows, we’re not violent,” anti-war protester Zanne Joi said in the article. “We abhor violence.”

Berkeley City Council member Kriss Worthington said violence is not a good way to protest the war.

“Smashing windows is not protest, it’s stupidity,” Worthington said in the article. “It’s counterproductive.”

At American University, Relay for Life profits go to repairs, not research

A portion of the $24,000 raised at American University’s Relay for Life event will be allocated to repairing vandalism at the event, The Eagle reported.

Three stall dividers in the men’s restroom in Bender Arena where the fundraiser took place were torn down during the event last weekend.

Currently, there are no suspects, and officials are not sure how much it will cost to repair the damage.

Relay for Life coordinator Julie Rinehart said in the article that it’s a shame they will not be able to give the full amount of money they raised to the American Cancer Society.

“These people took money away that saves lives,” she said in the article.