Posted Dec. 15

Slumped in front of his locker with head hung low, sophomore Ekpe Udoh just shrugged when asked what he thought of the Michigan men’s basketball team’s latest defeat.

And after an embarrassing 78-67 home loss at the hands of Central Michigan today – just two weeks after Harvard’s victory over the Wolverines – Udoh is one of many still searching for answers concerning this team.

“To be honest, I don’t think anybody knows what our style of play is,” Udoh said.

The confusion is understandable given Michigan’s 103-point output just three days ago in a win over Oakland. The fluidity and smoothness of the offense in that game was nowhere to be found against Central Michigan.

The Wolverines committed 23 turnovers, including 14 in the first half. And in an offensive scheme designed to favor 3-point shooting, Michigan had no attempts from long range before halftime.

The Wolverines didn’t even attempt a shot from further than seven feet away and went into halftime down nine.

“Not shooting a 3, (that’s) never (happened),” Michigan coach John Beilein said. “They just took all those types of looks away from us.”

Despite the poor play in the opening half, the Wolverines still had a chance down the stretch when freshman Kelvin Grady hit a 3-pointer with under three minutes remaining to shrink the deficit to 70-64.

But after Udoh missed the front end of a one-and-one and Grady fumbled a crossover dribble on the ensuing possession, the Wolverines were left to digest another loss in a season that appears will feature many.

And just like the players on his team, Beilein isn’t sure when the disappointing losses will end.

“That’s the million dollar question, Beilein said. “How long is it going to take? You can’t put a prediction on that. When? I couldn’t tell you in a million years.”