Some called it ugly.

Others called it a grind-it-out Big Ten contest.

More probably won’t even remember what happened on the floor considering the halftime speech given.

The Michigan men’s basketball team simply called it its fourth win in five games.

In their 49-43 victory over Illinois at Crisler Arena today, the Wolverines played their worst offensive game of the season, shooting 30 percent from the field while not scoring more than 27 points in a half.

But as bad as the Wolverines were, the Illini played even worse. Illinois scored just 17 points after halftime, committed 16 turnovers and went nearly 13 minutes without a field goal during a stretch of the second half.

“It was a good win,” sophomore DeShawn Sims said. “It was tough from the beginning, and it was tough until the end. We gutted that win out. That shows you how far our team has come along.”

This all came during Jalen Rose Day, a celebration of former Fab Five great Jalen Rose’s contributions. He gave a halftime speech to the Crisler crowd, where he emphasized the legacy of his former teammates.

“Every time you see the black shoes, black socks and the baggy shorts, the Fab Five lives,” Rose said.

On the court, it certainly didn’t look like the coronation Rose envisioned. Michigan never got in any sort of rhythm, and consistently had trouble just getting into its offense.

The Wolverines might be licking their wounds after another disappointing loss if it weren’t for the efforts of their freshman backcourt. Guards Manny Harris and Kelvin Grady combined for 26 points, including 18 of the team’s 27 second-half points.

Those were the lone bright spots in what might go down as the ugliest college basketball game this season.

It was the Wolverines’ lowest point total all season. And in a year with 18 losses already, that’s saying something. Afterwards Michigan coach John Beilein couldn’t help but point out that a win is a win, no matter how ugly it may be.

“(These) are wins that make a huge difference in your development,” Beilein said. “Nothing seemed to go well, but we kept on working, grinding and trying to stay positive.”