For the second straight game, the Michigan hockey team found itself in overtime against a CCHA foe.

And for the second straight game, the Wolverines left the ice with no closure as they tied Northern Michigan 3-3 tonight in Yost Ice Arena.

After tearing through a 10-game win streak, Michigan has gone winless in its last three contests.

The Wolverines were without freshman defenseman Kevin Quick, who was dismissed from the team earlier today for violating team rules. Michigan coach Red Berenson made the announcement in a press release.

Senior Kevin Porter notched a power play lamp lighter midway through the third period, the Wolverines’ last goal of the game. The Hobey Baker hopeful launched a slapshot from the top of the Wildcat zone to give the Wolverines a one-goal lead. With an assist and the goal tonight, Porter now has 41 points this year.

Northern Michigan fired right back though. With a two-man advantage, the Wildcats worked the puck around the zone with relative ease, finding an easy shot for the tying goal.

Neither team got much going in the five-minute overtime.

Michigan’s night started off just as rough, starting with a rough and uninspired first-half performance.

In the second period, after being held scoreless for almost 30 minutes, junior Travis Turnbull finally put the Wolverines on the board with a slapshot netting above goalie Brian Stewart’s stick-side shoulder. Turnbull’s goal marked the first point Michigan had scored in Yost in the last 89 minutes and 42 seconds after last Friday’s 1-0 shutout loss to Michigan State.

Late in the second period, freshman Max Pacioretty gave the Wolverines their first lead of the night. A shot by senior Kevin Porter deflected off Stewart’s pads, and Pacioretty found the rebound close to the crease for an easy goal.

Michigan didn’t hold its lead for long. Ten seconds after Northern Michigan was called for a penalty, sophomore Matt Butcher deflected a Wolverine pass and went off on a breakaway towards netminder Billy Sauer. Sauer came up high in the crease, and the soared past his glove side.

The goal marked the second short-hander Michigan has given up all season.

Check the Monday edition of the Michigan Daily for more comprehensive coverage of the game.