Joseph E. Fournier has accepted the position of chief human resources officer at the University of Michigan Health System. He will begin in February 2015. Fournier will be responsible for programs, services and initiatives pertaining to human resources in UMHS. He will replace Deborah Childs, who has held the position since 2005.

Fournier’s appointment comes at a time when other changes are occurring at UMHS, namely University President Mark Schlissel’s nomination of Dr. Marschall Runge for executive vice president of medical affairs. The recommendation awaits approval by the University’s Board of Regents.

Fournier is currently vice president and chief human resources officer at the UMass Memorial Medical Center at the University of Massachusetts Medical School, as well as senior human resources officer for UMass Memorial Health Care. Fournier directs many employee-related operations, such as employee health and wellness, talent acquisition, physician and employee engagement and satisfaction and employee communications. He is also responsible for all labor negotiations at the UMass Memorial Health Care system.

“I’m honored by the opportunity to join a world-class health system driven by excellence in patient care, education and clinical research,” Fournier said in a press release. “I’m thrilled to lead a human resources team that will be instrumental in supporting the U-M Health System in the changing and challenging environment of academic healthcare.”

Fournier is currently an adjunct professor at Worcester State University’s Master of Science in Health Care Administration program. In addition to a bachelor’s degree in finance from Providence College, he holds a law degree from Suffolk University and a master’s in Health Care Administration from Worcester State University.

“We are thrilled to have someone with Joe’s experience and expertise leading our human resources team,” said Tony Denton, acting chief executive officer of UMHS, in a press release. “As we continue our efforts to be a leader in health care while retaining and recruiting the most talented employees, Joe’s leadership will be essential to our success.”