WEST LAFAYETTE – When the final buzzer had sounded, the entire Purdue team gathered in front of the student section to acknowledge the crowd. Carl Landry went to the fans – first the students – and then a few others and slapped high-five with anyone who was willing to extend a hand.

Why not?

The 6-foot-7 senior did pretty much everything else, scoring 22 points and grabbing 7 rebounds in a 67-53 win in West Lafayette on Saturday night. The loss is a serious blow to NCAA Tournament hopes of the Wolverines (2-1 Big Ten, 14-4 overall), who are still looking for a quality win on the road to tack on their resume for March.

Whenever the Boilermakers (2-2, 13-5) needed a play, they could count on Landry to make a move underneath or fight for an offensive rebound. Michigan had no answer for him.

It didn’t matter who the Wolverines assigned to defend the 6-foot-7 center or what defense they called.

First, Landry forced Courtney Sims out of the game after two early fouls. Then, he overpowered Brent Petway and Ekpe Udoh underneath for buckets. And finally, he outmaneuvered DeShawn Sims for offensive rebounds and extra possessions. Simply put, Landry was a man among boys.

Purdue – which had previously lost to the likes of Indiana State and Minnesota, neither of which were played in Mackey Arena where Purdue is now 11-0 – was never really threatened by Michigan.

The Wolverines made their only move early in the second half, trailing 46-32. Two Michigan steals led to easy buckets for Ron Coleman and Dion Harris. The Wolverines found Courtney Sims inside on their next two possessions, and it appeared the two teams would be in for a great finish.

But that was as close as the game would get.

Landry muscled up a lay-up underneath the basket to spark an 8-3 Purdue run that put the Boilermakers up 11. The Wolverines never made another run, in part because of their 17 turnovers, and Purdue coasted to a victory.

Michigan appeared to be in control early. The Wolverines took an 8-2 lead with two Ron Coleman 3-pointers. Both treys were set up by solid screens that created the necessary space for the junior to get his shot off against Purdue’s man defense. After the second went down, Dion Harris gave a fist pump that seemed to signify Michigan had come to play.

But Purdue took over from there. Landry started going to work, and Michigan was forced to collapse on him. That left Purdue’s shooters open. And David Teague took full advantage. The senior shot 4-for-5 from behind the arc, including nailing one from well behind the 3-point arc, as the final seconds ticked away in the opening half. Teague finished the half with 16 points and Landry added 13 as Purdue went into the lockerroom with a 15-point advantage.

Purdue’s inside-out game put Michigan in deep water, and Landry’s physical play sank the Wolverines. Michigan now faces a must-win game at home against Penn State on Wednesday.

For complete coverage of Saturday’s game, check Tuesday’s edition of the Michigan Daily.