This past weekend, the Michigan men’s golf team took to the road in the Windon Memorial in Skokie, Ill. Despite a good showing from freshman Chris O’Neill, Michigan finished ninth in the tournament, taking a backseat to tournament champion Ohio State.

Northwestern hosted the tournament at Skokie Country Club, where the 7,081-yard course set up the 54-hole tournament, a par 71.

The Wolverines boasted their best lineup this season with freshmen Brett McIntosh and Chris O’Neill, sophomore Noori Hyun and seniors Miguel Echavarria and Matt Alessi. Going into the tournament, Michigan had high expectations, considering Lion Kim and Matt Thompson won the individual titles at the tournament the past two years.

Playing the second tournament in a span of five days, the Wolverines opened Sunday with a spectacular showing by O’Neill, who shot a career-best 72. Michigan finished the first day in eighth.

The second round started with Michigan playing through 13 holes before the day was called due to darkness. And on Monday, the Wolverines came back out to finish the tournament, and saw O’Neill posting another one-over 72.

O’Neill, an early star on the team as it continues its challenging season, had an amazing week prior to the Windom, shooting a 233 through three rounds and tying for third at the Inverness Club. And at Windon, O’Neill continued to dominate, posting a score of 218 through three rounds and tying for fifth, six strokes off of taking the tournament championship for himself.