John Shouneyia and Milan Gajic came back this weekend to score their first goals of the season.

And their second.

Shouneyia notched his first two tallies in Michigan’s 4-1 win over Lake Superior on Friday night. He also had an assist on Eric Nystrom’s powerplay goal midway through the first period.

“The good thing about his injury is that he could skate with the team,” Michigan coach Red Berenson said. “Obviously, he’s playing right back where we expect him to be.”

Shouneyia’s first goal came on a slap shot from the point. Defenseman Andy Burnes moved the puck away from the congested right boards to the center of the ice. Shouneyia slapped the puck into the top left corner of the net to give the Wolverines a 2-0 lead just 28 seconds into the second period.

The senior added his second tally on a scrappy play in front of the net on the powerplay nine minutes later, forcing a rebound past goalie Matt Violin to make it 3-0.

“It’s nice to finally score a goal,” Shouneyia said. “I kind of got two lucky goals, two lucky breaks really. The puck kind of just bounced out into the slot on the first one – Burnes took a guy (out of the play) – and the second one was kind of just a tap in. So they were two kind of lucky goals, but I’ll take them.”

Shouneyia led Michigan in scoring last season, but went down with an injury in this year’s opening exhibition game against the University of Toronto Oct. 5 and missed five weeks. He had just one point, an assist, in his return against Bowling Green last weekend.

Gajic sat out against the Falcons due to an academic suspension. In his first weekend back, he made his presence felt.

The sophomore forward fired a slap shot passed Violin on Friday to make it 4-1. He added another in the first period on Saturday by slamming home a pass from Jason Ryznar just two seconds after a Lake Superior penalty had expired.

“Parts of the game he played really hard and that’s the way he has to play,” Berenson said. “He can be a good player. He just needs to learn to be a good player every shift and every game.”

The Burnaby, British Columbia native could have had more points on the weekend. Gajic had a breakaway seven minutes into the second period on Saturday. But after he deked a few times on Violin, the puck slid left and the sophomore was forced to take a low angle shot off of the side of the net.

“It just rolled right off of my stick,” Gajic said. “I was trying to go backhand, and I had it probably open, it just kind of rolled off at the last second.”