Entering Saturday, the Toledo football team had allowed more than 30 points in four of its five games. In the other, the Rockets allowed 17 points to Eastern Michigan.

Michigan couldn’t even match that.

They haven’t put together a complete offensive game all season.

“It’s surprising every week,” offensive coordinator Calvin Magee said. “You expect to work on it, and you expect to get better, and you expect the guys to execute, and they didn’t do it.”

That has been Michigan’s explanation after every game this season. But they appear to be regressing.

At the beginning of the season, players talked about how they were just a couple of inches away on every play from breaking a long run. But that hasn’t been mentioned in the last few games. Now, the common explanation is players not being on the same page.

The Wolverines didn’t have a drive longer than three first downs against Toledo.

They only have one drive this year with four first downs that didn’t come on a penalty or a fourth-down conversion. That happened against Notre Dame.

The quarterbacks remained inconsistent. After going 5-for-8 with 59 yards in the first quarter, redshirt freshman quarterback Steven Threet threw for minus-4 passing yards in the second quarter. He bruised his throwing elbow at the end of the half, and redshirt sophomore Nick Sheridan took over in the second half.

Sheridan couldn’t ignite the offense, either.

He didn’t complete a pass in the third quarter. In the fourth, he threw two interceptions before leading the 10-play drive that set up the potential game-tying field goal.

“We got to make a play when we have a play presented to us, and we’re not doing it now,” quarterbacks coach Rod Smith said.

Earlier this season, Michigan coach Rich Rodriguez stressed the need to find players who can make a play to break the game open the times in one answer.

He couldn’t find one of those Saturday.

Even the lone bright spot for the Wolverines’ offense, freshman running back Sam McGuffie, couldn’t break the game open. He rushed for 100 yards for the second time in his career and made the catch to put the Wolverines in field-goal range at the end, but he could never find a way to break the big one.

McGuffie found his way into the Rocket secondary throughout the afternoon, but he still couldn’t get into the open field. His longest gain on the ground was 17 yards. Whether it was making the wrong cut or solid Toledo tackling, McGuffie was held in check.

And in a game as close as Saturday’s, a well-executed offensive play can be the difference. Michigan has been missing those every week.