Months of campaigning finally came to a close late Tuesday night, as President Barack Obama clinched the 270 Electoral College votes needed to reclaim the presidency and defeat Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney.

Obama’s win comes after winning critical swing states like Ohio and Virginia, both of which projected narrow margins throughout the evening after the polls closed nationwide. As of 12:50 a.m., Obama holds 285 Electoral College votes to Romney’s 203 according to the Associated Press. However, the popular vote remains close, with Obama holding a slim lead of just more than 100,000 votes.

The president won in a victory that was significantly narrower than his 2008 victory against former senator John McCain, winning 385 votes in the Electoral College to McCain’s 173. Both candidates have continued to campaign ardently throughout the swing states in the days leading into the election, as polls have showed an increasingly narrowing race that was indicative in Tuesday’s results.

In his concession speech from Boston, Mass. early Wednesday morning, Romney said he ran for office because he is “concerned for America” and thanked Americans for their support.

“Like so many of you, Paul and I have left everything on the field. We have given our all to this campaign,” Romney said.

Romney expressed concern over four more years of an Obama administration in the White House, particularly in regard to a challenging national economic climate.

“But the nation chose another leader, so Ann and I join with you to earnestly pray for him and for this great nation,” Romney said.

This is a developing story. Check back at michigandaily.com for more updates.