With First Lady Michelle Obama set to arrive in Detroit Friday, it appears Michigan will be one of the few states that will also play host to her husband this midterm season.

Despite registering a 43-percent approval rating in the latest Gallup poll, President Barack Obama is still scheduled to campaign for U.S. Rep. Gary Peters’ (D–Mich.) U.S. Senate bid, and may also appear for Democratic gubernatorial candidate Mark Schauer. Given the differences between the two races, however, the implications of the President’s visit would not be the same for the two candidates.

As many Democratic Senate candidates are locked in tight races across the country and the party faces an uphill battle to maintain a majority, Peters remains the party’s only Senate candidate requesting an appearance from the President, according to Politico. Unlike some other Democratic Senate hopefuls, Peters has two factors that could make a visit from Obama advantageous: a lead in the polls and a shared stance on issues that he and the President can emphasize. Peters is eight points ahead of Republican opponent Terri Lynn Land, according to RealClearPolitics aggregate polling, and that cushion may mitigate the setbacks of appearing with an unpopular president.

Moreover, Peters supported Obama’s 2009 auto industry bailout and has made it a point of emphasis in his campaign. In addition to the importance of the auto bailout, the fact that Michigan is one of the few states left with a visible union population might make Obama an effective surrogate for Peters, according to Political Science Prof. Michael Traugott.

“For Peters, (Obama) would be interested in trying to seal the deal and to garner enough support to dissuade the Republican establishment further in their support of Land,” Traugott said.

For Schauer, however, the purpose of Obama’s potential appearance would be different. Unlike in the Senate race, the auto bailout is not a wedge issue between Schauer and Republican Gov. Rick Snyder, whose support of the auto industry and Detroit overall has been well documented. Schauer’s campaign would still try to stake a claim to the auto bailout issue, though, as he did support it while in Congress.

“People know that it was President Obama and Democrats like Mark Schauer who fought to rescue Michigan’s auto industry and save thousands of good middle class jobs,” wrote Zack Pohl, communications director for Schauer, in an e-mail.

Schauer also does not have the benefit of leading in the polls, as RealClearPolitics has him trailing Snyder by 4 points.

“For Schauer, (Obama is) probably going to spend his time talking about turnout,” Traugott said. “In a tight race, that’s what each candidate is interested in.”

Though it may seem tenuous for candidates of the same party to avoid appearing with the President, recent history shows that it is actually a common status for second term executives. Presidents tend to have low approval ratings in their second term that result in midterm losses. For instance, former President George W. Bush’s approval rating at this time in 2006 sat at 37 percent according to Gallup, and resulted in Democratic gains in the House and Senate.