The upward trend continues.

The Office of Undergraduate Admissions received more than 27,000 early action applications this year, according to University spokesman Rick Fitzgerald. The figure is up from nearly 23,000 early action applications in 2014 — a 17.4 percent increase.

“Overall we expect admission applicants to increase again this year and this increase is the early sign of that overall increase,” Fitzgerald wrote in an e-mail to The Michigan Daily on Tuesday.

Between 2012 and 2013, early applications rose 15.8 percent from 19,000 to 22,000; between 2013 and 2014, the number increased an additional 4.5 percent from 22,000 to 23,000.

For the 2014-2015 school year, undergraduate enrollment increased slightly from the year prior, though the University had intended to curb the number of students enrolling for the Class of 2018.

During September’s Board of Regents meeting, University Provost Martha Pollack said the Office of Admissions plans to reduce the size of future classes, which could include shifting more early applicants to a waitlist.

“We have been over-enrolling every year for the past five years and we have to stop this,” she said. “I’m not happy about it.”

Students deferred to regular admission were notified that their application remains under consideration in an e-mail from Erica Sanders, interim director of admissions.

“Our high application volume, coupled with the very strong credentials of our applicants in recent years, has contributed to an increasingly competitive admissions process,” the letter reads. “As a result, we are writing to inform you that your application is currently being deferred for further review.”

All final admissions decisions are set for release by April 2015.

Complete admissions data is typically released in May. Last cycle, the University’s undergraduate acceptance rate was 32 percent.

Daily News Editor Michael Sugerman contributed reporting.