The Michigan women’s basketball team is currently riding a three-game winning streak, during which it is outscoring its opponents by an average of 15 points per game. After starting the season 1-2, the Wolverines have jumped out to a 4-2 record thanks in large part to their offensive production.

Sparked by junior transfer guard Shannon Smith’s 32 points against Detroit Mercy on Nov. 16, Michigan’s offense has been red hot the past three games. Freshman point guard Siera Thompson poured in a career-high 22 points against Pittsburgh on Wednesday.

The Wolverines also have the ever-consistent junior forward Nicole Elmblad. The captain is averaging 12.8 points and 10 rebounds per game, and leads the team with almost 39 minutes per game. Michigan coach Kim Barnes Arico has often cited Elmblad as the hardest-working player in practice, so it comes as no surprise that she’s productive every night on the floor. Her success was recognized on Monday when she was named to the Big Ten Player of the Week Honor Roll for her performance last week.

But recently, it has been a true team effort for Michigan, which has found multiple scoring outlets throughout its lineup.

The Wolverines have showcased their ability to put points on the board, having scored at least 70 points in five straight games, twice hitting 80. And against the Panthers, Michigan shot above 50 percent from the field for the first time this season.

TOP-20 RECRUITING CLASS: In the midst of Michigan’s recent success on the court, Barnes Arico has inked the best recruiting class in program history.

Prospects Nation ranks the class No. 20 in the country.

“I’m super, super excited about the (five) young ladies that signed with us today,” Barnes Arico said. “I think it’s a tremendous class, and we really were allowed to get a lot of needs. (They) are super basketball players as well as great students and great people from terrific families.”

Leading the class is the nation’s ninth-ranked prospect: Katelynn Flaherty, a point guard from Townson, N.J. As a junior, she averaged 30.3 points, 5.8 assists, 4.1 rebounds and 3.5 steals per game.

“Katelynn is probably one of the highest-ranked recruits to ever sign with Michigan,” Barnes Arico told MGoBlue.com. “I have been watching her play since she has been in the seventh or eighth grade. She is just an exceptional talent.”

Guard/forward Maria Backman, guard/forward Jillian Dunston, forward Emoni Jackson and center Terra Stapleton round out the class.

“This class has the potential to be a special class, a group that makes a great impact on our program,” Barnes Arico said.

EYEING THE COMPETITION: After playing three games in five days, the Wolverines had an eight-day break. Next up for Michigan is the Barclays Invitational in Brooklyn, N.Y., where Michigan will face Texas Tech on Friday and either LSU or Rutgers on Saturday.

With the Scarlet Knights joining the Big Ten next season, this is an early chance for the Wolverines to get a look at a future conference opponent. But before that, they will meet the Red Raiders.

Texas Tech (3-1) sports three players who average double figures — one fewer than Michigan. But like the Wolverines, the Red Raiders have a fairly small starting lineup, with both teams averaging 42.5 rebounds per game.