OXFORD — Sophomore forward A.J. Treais scored his first goal of the season when a puck ricocheted off his helmet and into the net against Alaska three months ago. But on Friday, Treais got an even better — and more timely — gift.

Just over seven minutes into the No. 9 Michigan hockey team’s 4-2 loss to No. 13 Miami (Ohio), freshman forward Luke Moffatt took a wrist shot from the base of the right circle that deflected off a defenseman and past RedHawk goaltender Cody Reichard.

The puck dribbled to a waiting Treais, who, instead of allowing it to continue its path and cross the goal line, slapped the puck home for his seventh goal and an early 1-0 lead.

The feed from Moffatt was nothing short of a present, and appropriately so, since Friday marked Treais’s 20th birthday.

“It’s my birthday today, so that one couldn’t have come any easier,” Treais said after the game on Friday.

But the giving didn’t stop there.

With the game knotted, 1-1, seven minutes into the second frame, Treais swiped a Miami forward at center ice and crossed into the RedHawk zone. Using the defenseman as a screen, he unleashed a slap shot that handcuffed Reichard, beating him top shelf for his second goal of the contest.

The goals were Treais’s seventh and eighth of the season — the sophomore’s first multiple-goal game of his young career.

“I think offensively it was one of my better games at Michigan, but not completely my best,” Treais said.

Added Michigan coach Red Berenson: “A.J. had a good game, a real good game. He got lucky on the second goal. You’re not going to score that very often, but it’s a goal. I thought he had a good game.”

The bow on an otherwise disgraceful showing from the Wolverines was that sophomore forward Chris Brown, who assisted on Treas’s first goal, celebrated his 20th birthday just a day earlier.

The weekend was one Michigan would like to quickly forget, but it surely was one for the ages.

EATING HUMBLE PIE: Two weeks ago, the Wolverines had very little to worry about. They had just finished dismantling Alaska for first place in the conference, while Miami split with lowly Michigan State, falling to third place.

But after three consecutive losses, it’s Michigan that now finds itself in third place in the CCHA. With the sweep at Steve Cady Arena, the RedHawks leap-frogged both the Wolverines and idle No. 11 Notre Dame for the conference lead with just three weekends remaining.

On Saturday, following the team’s 3-0 drubbing in Oxford, senior forward Carl Hagelin admitted that Michigan’s five-game win streak prior to facing the Spartans last weekend gave the team a false sense of security.

“We need to be more humble,” Hagelin said. “We’ve to make sure everyone’s doing the right thing in practice.”

The three-game losing streak is Michigan’s longest since a five-game cold snap that stretched the entire month of November last season — a span that included sweeps by Miami, Michigan State and a defeat at the hands of Bowling Green.

Michigan’s loss on Friday also marked the first time this year the Wolverines have lost a game in which they scored first, and the first time in the last 18 games that an opponent overcame them for a third-period comeback victory.

REMEMBERING BRENDAN: Saturday’s date — Feb. 5 — marked the one-year anniversary of the death of Brendan Burke, a student manager for the Miami hockey team, as well as the son of Toronto Maple Leafs general manager Brian Burke.

Prior to Saturday’s game, the Burke family stood at center ice encircled by the Miami team as a memorial video played on the video board, commemorating Brendan’s life.

In addition, the RedHawks all donned commemorative jerseys that featured a large clover leaf with Brendan’s initials, ‘BB,’ emblazoned on the chest of the sweater. Instead of individual players’ names, each jersey bore the same name — ‘Burke’ — on the back.

“It was a tough time a year ago knowing one of our guys passed away,” Miami coach Enrico Blasi said. “To relive some of those memories are painful. The Burke family was great, being here all weekend. We tried to honor Brendan as best we could. He’s probably deserving of a lot more, but hopefully the win and what we did for him and just keeping him in our hearts and keeping his message moving forward I think is very important.”

The jerseys will be sold to raise money to fund a scholarship at Miami in Brendan’s name.