The No. 5 Michigan softball team (25-1) has already gotten off to the best start in program history, outscoring its opponents 191-33.

But it still hasn’t faced a ranked opponent.

When the Wolverines travel to Fullerton, Calif. to compete at the Judi Garman Classic this weekend, they’ll finally get the chance to prove whether they belong at the top of the polls.

Michigan will face No. 6 Arizona State on Friday and No. 7 Arizona on Saturday, as well as Notre Dame and Fresno State — two teams on the cusp of the top 25 — on Sunday. The other contest will come on Thursday against Cal State Fullerton, the Classic’s host.

ARIZONA, WHO? Michigan might be facing two top opponents in Arizona and Arizona State, but Michigan coach Carol Hutchins isn’t worried about the tough competition.

“We just need to compete,” Hutchins said. “It’s not about the other teams. We can’t start defining ourselves by who we’re playing. We haven’t done that yet, and if they start doing it now, they can expect to have a hard time. We just need to play the game and enjoy competing.

Still, she knows that this weekend will be especially tough.

“It’s going to be good competition, and I would think (the players) would be excited about it,” Hutchins said.

WHO HAVE THEY BEATEN? No. 6 Arizona State and No. 7 Arizona have each started their seasons with some impressive wins.

The Sun Devils (24-1) are currently riding a 20-game winning streak and though their competition has been mostly pedestrian, they do own a 4-3 win over No. 9 Oklahoma.

They’ve been an offensive juggernaut this season, scoring 59 runs in five games last weekend and reaching double-digit runs in 14 of their last 18 games.

The Wildcats (21-4) lost two of three games to No. 18 Baylor last weekend, but No. 14 Nebraska, No. 22 Texas A&M and No. 25 LSU.

If Michigan can survive of this weekend unscathed, its already-lofty ranking will continue to rise.

GOING STREAKING, NO MORE: Freshman leftfielder Nicole Sappingfield didn’t record a hit in last weekend’s final game against Louisville, going 0-for-3.

That ended her hit streak at 20 games, the longest recorded hit streak in Michigan softball history.

In other streaking news, with the loss against Western Kentucky, the Wolverines ended their season-opening 24-game winning streak.