In the Michigan football team’s first three games, it’s been getting out of the gates as fast as Seabiscuit — in the horse’s present state. And the Wolverines’ opponents aren’t reluctant to beat a dead horse.

Michigan has been outscored 21-0 in the first quarter this season. And Eastern Michigan, the only team who didn’t score in the opening period, scored its only points of the game in the first play of the second quarter.

The Wolverines’ defense has given up a first-drive touchdown in two of the first three games. The offense has gained just 129 yards on 34 plays in the first quarter.

“I don’t know if there’s a magic answer for that,” Michigan coach Brady Hoke said.

But fifth-year senior wide receiver Junior Hemingway thinks he does. According to senior defensive tackle Mike Martin, Hemingway pointed out in senior meetings that the team always has their worst practice of the week on Tuesdays, their first day back from the weekend. Each practice gets better as the game goes on, mirroring their performance on game days.

“I think it’s really just a mental thing,” Martin said. “I think that we need better leadership and I’ll put that on myself as a senior, as captain. We need to get the guys ready to go for the first snap of the game.

“Maybe that’s on me to make sure I’m a little bit more intense and ready to go and produce on the field a bit better.”

TRENDING BUT NOT TRENDY: To 25,161 people, junior quarterback Denard Robinson is also known as Denard X.

Robinson entered the Twitter world with the handle of @DenardX. The account gained thousands of followers in the first hours of its existence, partly due to his teammates’ heavy promotion.

His first tweet actually came from redshirt sophomore linebacker Cam Gordon: “This Cam and lace don’t know what to tweet.”

After a week and a half, not much has changed.

“Oh my god,” Robinson said, smiling. “I don’t even know how to tweet. I’m trying to learn. I just made it. I don’t know.”

SPECIAL FEATS FOR SPECIAL TEAMS: Redshirt sophomore kicker Brendan Gibbons is handling shorter field goals. Freshman Matt Wile handles the longer ones and is seen as the deep threat. And he’s willing to go deeper.

He said he hit a 59-yard field goal in practice. When asked, Hoke said he would let Wile try it in a game. Finding the opportunity may be the problem. Only one team (Boise State) has yet to attempt a field goal this season. Michigan is one of seven teams to attempt only one.

On the other side, redshirt sophomore Jeremy Gallon may be pulling double-duty after his approximately 80-yard punt return against Eastern Michigan was called back because of a block in the back. Hoke said Monday that Gallon may both return punts and kickoffs.

INJURY NOTE: Hoke said that both Gordon and fifth-year senior linebacker Brandon Herron will be available to play against San Diego State but clarified that he didn’t think they would start, partly because of conditioning and partly because of the play of redshirt freshman Jake Ryan.