When the crowd at Yost Ice Arena spelled out “C-H-A-R-L-I-E S-H-E-E-N” midway through the third period on Saturday, it wasn’t just blowing smoke in reference to a current pop-culture phenomenon.

The student section finished its chant by belting Sheen’s now-familiar catchphrase, “winning,” just minutes before the No. 5 Michigan hockey team capped off its home finale, a 4-1 victory over Bowling Green.

The only real difference is that Charlie Sheen has been winning for two weeks — the Wolverines have been winning at Yost for four straight months.

Saturday’s victory marked exactly four months since the Wolverines last lost at home — a 3-1 loss to then-No. 11 Notre Dame. Since then, Michigan has won 13 consecutive games at Yost, finishing with a sterling 16-2-1 home record.

“You couldn’t play in front of better fans than Michigan hockey fans,” Michigan coach Red Berenson said. “No matter what kind of weather it is out, no matter what’s going on around the sporting world … they find their way here, they’re behind the team, they give them support. If you can’t play hockey here, you can’t play anywhere.

“Someday they’ll replace this building, but they won’t replace it.”

For the seniors, participating in their final game in the old barn, the weekend brought about some emotional memories.

Even senior forward Matt Rust, normally a straight-faced bruiser, let the moment sink in before he stepped off the ice.

“Like I’ve said before about the whole senior thing, I don’t think it’s going to hit you until the last game,” Rust said Saturday. “Tonight was kind of a different story, it was the last game at Yost. I can only speak for myself, but I got a little choked up leaving the ice.

“All four years here have been phenomenal for me. It’s been the best four years of my life. Hopefully I’ll get a shot at the next level, but if this (Yost) is the last place I play, I’ll consider myself very, very lucky.”

The Wolverines (20-7-1-0 CCHA, 25-9-4 overall) will trade the friendly confines of Yost for Joe Louis Arena next weekend — the seniors’ fourth trip to Detroit as one of the CCHA Tournament’s final four remaining teams.

And Michigan, riding an eight-game winning streak, couldn’t be much hotter. But even though Joe Louis is hardly more than a hop, skip and another hop from Ann Arbor, it certainly won’t have the same Michigan-centric atmosphere as Yost.

POWER PLAY PRODUCES: With senior forward Louie Caporusso absent due to injury, the Michigan bench was already depleted entering its series against the Falcons. And after junior forward David Wohlberg suffered a broken collarbone on Friday, two top-tier scorers were missing on the power play.

But that didn’t slow down the power play. Bowling Green gave the Wolverines 12 man-advantage situations, and Michigan’s patchwork unit cashed in on three of them. It was the power play’s first three-goal weekend since an early-January meeting with Michigan State.

The power play, now sitting at 17.8-percent efficiency, has converted at least a goal in four of the last five games. But that success has only come on the heels of hard work, spurned by the disappointment of six consecutive games with no man-advantage goals that spanned through much of February.

“We’ve worked hard enough in practice,” Berenson said. “It looked like they had a little more confidence, a little more authority and moved (the puck) well. And they had some results, too, and that gives you some confidence.”

‘WHO DAT?’ — GOALIE EDITION: As was the case in the series finale against Northern Michigan on Feb. 26, senior goaltender Shawn Hunwick was pulled midway through the third period on Saturday on the brink of a shutout.

As senior Bryan Hogan skated over to the Michigan net during a timeout with 12 minutes left in the game, the Yost crowd didn’t miss the cue, chanting the two-year starter’s name as he limbered up in the crease.

Hogan — whose season was cut short by a groin injury in December — hadn’t played at Yost since a Nov. 19 matchup against Lake Superior State.

“It was great, especially when they were chanting my name,” Hogan said. “Obviously, it was tough getting back in there, I didn’t feel myself really. But it was great to play my last game here — I thought Northern Michigan might have been it, but glad I got to play here.”

In Marquette, it was Hunwick who pulled himself, but this time Berenson initiated the goaltending substitution. And Berenson added another wrinkle in the final two minutes of play, when he sent in freshman goaltender Adam Janecyk to make his first-ever appearance for the Wolverines.

“We talked about it between periods, if the situation came up we would put Hoagie in, and even Janny if we got a chance late,” Berenson said. “It’s good for them, it’s good for the team, and it’s good for everyone — you never know if Hoagie’s going to have to play. Right now, I think everyone feels involved and invested in the team.”

NOTES: Senior defenseman Chad Langlais started both games against Bowling Green — the 166th and 167th consecutive starts of his career — to set the Michigan record for consecutive games played … Caporusso practiced with the team on Monday, skating at full speed, and expects to play this weekend.