After two bowl-less seasons at Michigan, recruiting has become a focal point for Wolverine fans hoping for a turnaround.

But at this point with Wednesday”s National Signing Day looming, it’s almost too late for coach Rich Rodriguez to worry about doing more.

“There’s always a couple that you’re waiting on, a couple you’re nervous about, but we’re off the road now,” Rodriguez told reporters during halftime of Saturday’s Michigan men’s basketball game. “We feel pretty good about the way it’s going.”

Rodriguez said he expects to sign between 26 and 28 recruits for the 2010 class.

Michigan has received 26 oral commitments so far in the process. Nineteen of those commitments are not binding until the recruits sign a National Letter of Intent tomorrow. The other seven committed recruits opted to enroll early and are already taking classes at the University.

Wednesday is likely to be less eventful than last year’s Signing Day, when Michigan secured commitments from three players and saw two other recruits decommit in favor of different schools. Rodriguez will be awaiting the decisions of three different players who could immediately help the team’s shaky secondary. Four-star safeties Demar Dorsey and Sean Parker and four-star cornerback Rashad Knight will all make their decisions tomorrow, and all list Michigan among their favorites.

NCAA rules prohibit Rodriguez from commenting on unsigned players, but he spoke to reporters about his ability to close.

“The relationships have already been established,” he said. “The success in closing is having that relationship for a while. I think we’re meeting our needs. I don’t think you ever get everything you want, but you get what you need, and I think we’re getting that.”

Other personnel changes from within the team could help meet more of Michigan’s needs.

Rodriguez said some slot receivers, like redshirt sophomore Kelvin Grady, might see some time at the running back position this spring — a position most of them played in high school.

“There are going to be guys who are going to play multiple positions in the spring,” Rodriguez said. “We’re going to do a little more experimenting with our guys than we have in the past.”

On the defensive end, where perhaps most concerns lie, Rodriguez said he would consider trying offensive players on the other side of the line.

He mentioned possibly moving 6-foot-2 freshman Cameron Gordon, a receiver, to defense.

“What we’re looking at now are guys that can help on defense because of our shortage of numbers over there,” Rodriguez said.

Rich Rod on Kelvin: Michigan basketball coach John Beilein welcomed former point guard and current slot receiver Kelvin Grady back to the basketball program two weeks ago as a scout team player. The decision complicates the practice hour limits for an NCAA-eligible student-athlete. But Rodriguez and Beilein supported Grady’s decision to help out both teams.

“When we talked, I could tell he really wanted to, and he probably missed it,” Rodriguez said. “As I told him, ‘If you can feel you can contribute and have fun doing it then why not?’ (Beilein) and I talked about it, and I’m all for those guys as long as they can contribute and as long as they don’t affect their studies, and it doesn’t seem to be affecting his studies at all.”

Rodriguez said if the basketball team makes the NCAA Tournament, he’ll tell Grady, “That’s great, keep doing it,” even if it conflicts with early spring football practices.

Assistant LB coach update: The Michigan football coaching staff is still one defensive assistant coach short. Last year’s linebackers coach, Jay Hopson, left Ann Arbor to become the defensive coordinator at Memphis in December.

On Saturday, Rodriguez said that he expects a new hire to come within a week after Wednesday’s signing day.

“I did a little work with it when I was at the coaches’ convention in Orlando (earlier this month),” Rodriguez said. “I did some interviews down there. Other than that I put it on hold until after signing date.”