The Manny Harris and DeShawn Sims era of Michigan basketball came to a close last month, and last night was their chance to say goodbye.

At the Michigan men’s basketball team’s banquet, Harris gave a brief speech before the seniors, saying it had been a pleasure playing for Michigan. Harris also said that Sims was the reason the Detroit native even came to Michigan and that Harris “loved him.”

Sims, who won the team’s MVP award, defended Harris’s decision to enter the NBA draft after his junior season, saying that people shouldn’t have criticized the Wolverines’ leading scorer because Harris played like a senior this year.

When Michigan coach John Beilein got up to talk, his advice for the outgoing players was simple — work harder than you’ve ever worked before.

Either way, Harris is leaving a year early, and Sims is graduating — the faces of the program are gone. And when the Wolverines convene again next season, the team will look drastically different.

This summer, while Harris and Sims try and make that jump to the NBA, Michigan is going to be working hard to replace 53 percent of its total point output and 43 percent of its total rebounding.

“We see some good things,” Beilein said. “Their summer workouts right now are so huge. We have almost a five-month summer where coach Beilein and his staff can watch them. And this is huge. They must be self-starters, they must go after it. This is really big time for them.”

If there was any promising sign for next year’s Wolverines, it was that sophomore Zack Novak took home the team’s leadership award.

Bye Bye Bye: Last Friday, Beilein announced that assistant coaches Jerry Dunn and John Mahoney were leaving the program to pursue other collegiate coaching opportunities.

“If anybody follows college basketball, change is everywhere,” Beilein said. “I can’t say there is anything specific. I would just say that change is part of a program and we’re going through that right now. I’m the head coach at Michigan, I’ve got to make changes as I see.”

Dunn had been on Beilein’s staff for seven years and Mahoney for the past five years. Both were also with Beilein at West Virginia before coming to Michigan.

Beilein said the moves were based on the future and not on the team’s disappointing season. Jeff Meyer will move into the assistant coaching role permanently after he took over for Dunn in the middle of this past season. And Beilein said he is tying to fill the other position as quickly as he can.

Scholarships aplenty: With Harris, Sims, redshirt junior Anthony Wright and redshirt senior Zach Gibson all leaving the program and redshirt freshman Ben Cronin having left due to a career-ending injury, Beilein has some scholarships left to fill for next season.

Beilein went through the numbers and mentioned commitments from Tim Hardaway, a guard, and Evan Smotrycz and Jon Horford, forwards, occupying three of those five scholarships opening up. That would leave Michigan with two scholarships remaining.

Beilein wants to add more more to the class.

“I think it all depends on how it lines up right now,” Beilein said. “Where our next commitment comes from, we’d like to sign at least one more. But if we don’t find the right guy, but then who that person is, it dictates some other things. But I can see us signing a couple more.”

That number is also at three because freshman guard Eso Akunne, who was awarded a one-year scholarship this past season, will have walk-on status once again next year.

Jordan Morgan injury update: Beilein also gave an update on how freshman forward Jordan Morgan is doing regarding his knee injury.

“He is recovering well,” Beilein said. “What is good now is his knee is getting a chance to recover while his shoulder is recovering. That’s the good thing about it. But anytime a guy is going to be out four months, he’s been out the whole year.

“I am glad that we did get a glimpse of some things he has to work on this year.”

Morgan is the second-tallest Wolverine returning next season. Listed at 6-foot-8 inches, Morgan will only be looking up to Blake McLimans (6-foot-10 inches).

When he was healthy, Morgan worked with the coaching staff on scoring around the basket, his rebounding and even developed a jump hook. The Wolverines front line will lose some muscle with Sims graduating, and Morgan could fill in nicely in the paint.

Daily Sports Editor Nicole Auerbach contributed to this report