In the postgame press conference after the Michigan hockey team’s CCHA playoff series-clinching win against Lake Superior State on Saturday, coach Red Berenson compared Shawn Hunwick, the Wolverines’ backup goaltender, to ‘Rudy.’

It was a clear statement from Berenson about Hunwick’s performance in relief of goalie Bryan Hogan, who has been out with a groin injury since Feb. 25.

But when addressed by reporters after the Wolverines’ 6-0 drubbing of the Lakers, Hunwick’s loose demeanor hinted that he couldn’t care less about the new nickname — he’s out there just doing his job.

“I’ve worked hard for my opportunity,” he said. “Some people might have said when I was coming in, that I didn’t deserve to be here, so it was definitely something to work for.”

Coming into this weekend’s best-of-three first-round series, the Sterling Heights native had a 1-1 record on the year, including a shutout 10 days ago against Notre Dame. Prior to that contest against the Fighting Irish, Hunwick had seen just 18 minutes of action all season, so to say he was an inexperienced goaltender stepping into the limelight was an understatement. To the casual hockey observer, he was a baby still learning to walk.

Just don’t tell that to senior defenseman Chris Summers, who has watched Hunwick mature and develop into a solid netminder during the last three years in Ann Arbor.

“It’s not a surprise to us that he has been playing this well,” Summers said, after Michigan’s 5-2 victory against the Lake Superior State on Friday.

Hunwick backstopped the Wolverines to a two-game sweep of Lake Superior State and a date with Michigan State in the CCHA quarterfinals next Friday. And while he wasn’t really that tested against the Lakers — except for a big kick save midway through the first period with the score tied at zero — he looked comfortable in net and stayed in the game mentally, despite the long lapses without any action at the Wolverine end.

Burnin’ holes in the net: “Keeping it simple” — it’s a small phrase that junior Louie Caporusso has reiterated over the past few weeks to describe his recent offensive resurgence.

And while Caporusso isn’t really saying a lot with his explanation, the three words depict the whole story and the former Hobey Baker finalist’s rise to the spot of second-leading scorer, behind junior Carl Hagelin.

Caporusso has 15 points in his last 13 games, scoring his first hat trick of the season this past weekend against Lake Superior State.

Earlier in the season, according to Caporusso, he was trying to do too much with the puck and thinking too much on the ice. The Woodbridge, Ontario native has minimized his over-thinking and has, instead, reverted more to reacting to the play at hand. The change in his approach to the game has certainly paid off.

“There’s always a little pressure, that comes with hockey, that comes with life,” Caporusso said. “But I’m not going to worry about it too much. I’m going to play. At the end of the day, you got to keep it simple.”

Notes: Freshman Jeff Rohrkemper scored his first career goal Saturday against the Lakers, shooting a wrist shot over Lake Superior State netminder Brian Mahoney-Wilson’s glove … Senior captain Chris Summers left Saturday’s game midway through the first period with a lower-body injury, The extent of his injury is still unknown.