The Herbert H. Dow Building on North Campus was evacuated after a small electrical fire was reported around 11:20 a.m. Monday.

A short in a transformer in the building’s motor control room was the cause of the fire, Department of Public Safety Spokeswoman Diane Brown said.

Though the fire stopped once the electricity was disconnected, fire crews worked for nearly an hour to clear smoke from the building, Brown said.

Everyone inside the building was evacuated safely, and one University electrician sustained minor injuries from the fire.

Classes that meet in the Dow building were canceled for the remainder of the day. Brown said the building could reopen as early as tomorrow or later this week.

The building’s heating and ventilation systems — which are connected to the motor control room where the fire began — are currently not working, which Brown said is part of the reason the building is still closed.

Electricians worked today to restore power to the building. Repairs to heating and ventilation systems will continue through the week, but Brown added that it’s difficult to anticipate what kind of problems repair crews will encounter.

“It’s possible that (repairs) could be done in stages so that parts of the building could be occupied so experiments could take place,” she said.

The Dow building houses laboratories and classrooms for the Department of Chemical Engineering and the Department of Materials Science and Engineering.