Economist and Nobel Prize winner James Heckman will speak about “The Economics and Psychology of Inequality and Human Development,” on campus tomorrow.

Heckman, a professor at the University of Chicago, will speak in the Pendleton Room of the Michigan Union at 3:30 p.m.

According to a press release, Heckman’s lecture will center on recent research regarding the “economics of human development.” Specifically, he will talk about how inequalities within the family unit and investments in children can affect the development of a child and how “optimal child investment strategies differ depending on target outcomes of interest and on the nature of adversity in a child’s early years.” These strategies, according to Heckman’s research, can be used to aid children’s success.

The lecture is part of a two-day conference called “The Long Run Impact of Early Life Events II” featuring economists, social epidemiologists and developmental psychologists.

Heckman won the Nobel Prize for Economics in 2000 for his development of a theory and methods regarding the analysis of selective samples. He has also been the recipient of the John Bates Clark Award of the American Economic Association in 1983, the 2005 Jacob Mincer Award for Lifetime Achievement in Labor Economics, the 2005 University College Dublin Ulysses Medal and the 2005 Aigner award from the Journal of Econometrics.

In addition to his numerous awards, Heckman has also published notable research. According to his biography on the University of Chicago’s website, Heckman’s research on people who obtain GED’s was the source of much debate across the country about the benefits of the degree. Heckman has also published over 200 articles and several books.

Heckman served as an economics advisor for the Presient Barack Obama’s campaign last year during the 2008 presidential election.