Second chances are something that everyone wants but so few people actually get.

But this weekend, senior Tania Mahtani got a second chance to play her final home match.

Three weeks ago, the third-ranked Wolverines held Senior Day when they hosted their final regular season match. Mahtani — the team’s lone senior — was honored, and found success on what was a very emotional day for her.

Little did she know that Michigan would get to host two rounds of the NCAA regional for the first time in the program’s history, and that she would get to play at home once again as the Wolverines swept through the regionals to advance to the Sweet 16.

“It was a huge honor (to get another home match),” Mahtani said. “It was one of our goals throughout the year to host a regional, so it was just really exciting to get to play on our home courts.”

The Wolverines dominated their first round match against Illinois-Chicago, winning 4-0.

Michigan then faced rival Ohio State on Saturday in the second round, but the familiar foe proved to be no match for the Wolverines.

Michigan won by another 4-0 margin, although the second round match proved much tougher than the sweep on Friday.

“We know Ohio State pretty well, and they’re a great group of competitors so we knew we had our work cut out for us,” Michigan coach Ronni Bernstein said. “We’re just happy we could come through.”

With each team winning one of the first two doubles matches, it came down to the number-one doubles match. Juniors Whitney Taney and Rika Tatsuno went up 6-0 in the eight-game pro set, but Ohio State’s Kelsey Haviland and Cami Hubbs battled back to make it 7-5.

With Ohio State to serve, Taney and Tatsuno took a step back to prepare for what they knew would be the final game.

The duo of juniors won four straight points to win the match.

“After losing those few games we just needed to loosen up and have a laugh,” Taney said. “Then after that we just played a great game and we’re lucky to get the win.”

Mahtani secured the second singles victory and third overall point for the Wolverines. After a tough loss in doubles and a rough start to singles — she lost the first set 6-4 — Mahtani won the final two sets and lost just two games in the process.

“It’s a team sport, and we still got the doubles point so she just needed to forget about it,” Bernstein said. “She’s the lone senior and to pull out a win during her last time at the Varsity Tennis Center is great.”

Junior Denise Muresan — the No. 19 singles player in the country and Mahtani’s doubles partner — clinched the match with her win in the No. 1 spot.

Michigan will now head to the NCAA Championships at the University of Georgia. The Wolverines will meet No. 13 Tennessee on Thursday, May 20, at 3 p.m.

“It’s been our goal to make it to Georgia,” Bernstein said. “We’re going to play loose, and a team is going to have to beat us, because we’re going to go in there and compete. We’ve played a lot of the best teams in the country already, so nothing is going to surprise us. We’re going to enjoy it. It’s exciting for the program and we’re going to have fun.”