Even before its first match, Michigan men’s tennis coach Bruce Berque had high expectations. He predicted that this group of Wolverines would be his best team yet.

After finishing 20-7 and competing in the NCAA Sweet 16 for the first time in 20 years, his prediction was dead on.

Still, the Wolverines’ season ended Friday with a 4-0 loss to No. 1 Virginia in the third round of the NCAA Tournament. But getting to this point of competition was one of Michigan’s goals from the start of its season.

“Looking back at the season I think all the guys are very proud of what we accomplished,” senior captain Matko Maravic said.

Berque expressed the same pride to his players at the end of the match, but recognized that they were all a bit discouraged.

“Even if it’s the No. 1 team in the country, any time you lose you feel disappointed,” Berque said.

Michigan dropped its first match of the season to Virginia on Feb. 3, 5-2. Michigan knew it was facing the same competitive team, but went into the match with a “nothing-to-lose” attitude.

“We did not feel any pressure to win,” Maravic said. “All the pressure was on Virginia.”

In their previous match against Virginia, the Wolverines started by winning the doubles point, which they didn’t win Friday.

“They could’ve come out more aggressive in doubles,” Berque said.

After their double’s success, the Cavaliers took straight sets in three singles matches to clinch the four-point victory. But the Wolverines went down fighting.

Sophomore Mike Sroczynski was in the middle of the third set when freshman Jason Jung, who put up a battle at the No. 2 position, lost his match. That gave Virginia the fourth point it needed to secure the victory.

“I think we competed well and did not give them too much credit,” Maravic said. “We all realize that the difference in level of play is not that big.”

Friday’s match ended the team competition for the Wolverines’ season, but Maravic and sophomore George Navas are alternates to play in the doubles tournament and have a good chance of securing a spot to compete.

Although this is Maravic’s last hurrah, he leaves the team in great shape. With most of the team returning and the pending addition of freshman Drew Daniel, Maravic says the Big Ten Title and a trip to the Elite 8 is an achievable goal in the future.

If Maravic’s predictions are as good as his coach’s, the Wolverines just might be in for another dominant season.