For Ohio State, what could be worse than two straight losses to its archrival, Michigan?

Not even at full strength yet, the top-ranked Michigan men”s gymnastics team thrashed No. 3 Ohio State for the second week in a row.

After easily beating then-No. 2 Ohio State in Chicago last week, the Wolverines put forth a dominating effort on Saturday for the 1103 fans at Cliff Keen Arena, amassing a total of 215.5 points while the Buckeyes managed to tally only 210.4.

A five-point margin of victory may not seem dominant, but in error for the Wolverines. Michigan brought home five first-place finishes and 19 top-five finishes in its first home meet of the season.

Led by Scott Vetere and Brad Kenna, the Wolverines set the pace early and never looked back.

Both Vetere and Kenna earned two first-place honors. While Vetere secured first-place finishes on the pommel horse (9.400) and the high bar (9.350), Kenna took the top honors in both the floor exercise (8.850) and the parallel bars (9.000).

“I”m not back to full strength yet, but I”m starting to get stronger,” said Kenna, who is still nursing a shoulder injury.

Senior tri-captains Kevin Roulston and Tim Dehr turned in strong routines as well. Roulston”s 9.350 on vault was good enough to earn him a first-place finish in the event, while Dehr took second place in both the floor exercise and parallel bars with scores of 8.750 and 8.950, respectively.

Daniel Diaz-Luong, still recovering from an ankle injury, had a promising performance, earning three top-five finishes while competing in four of the six events. gymnastics it is similar to beating the Buckeyes by 35 in football.

“Five-point-one I usually feel that a point equals a touchdown, so that”s about five touchdowns,” Michigan coach Kurt Golder said. “I”m sure they were probably mad as hell last week because we beat them when we were ranked No.1 and No. 2, especially with our rivalry.

“I”m sure there would have been nothing better for them than to have come up to Ann Arbor and pull an upset, but we just got off to a good start and kept it going through the whole thing.”

This season”s domination has taken place without injured tri-captain Justin Toman, who is recovering from reconstructive knee surgery last August and is considering redshirting for the remainder of the season.

Laden with early-season injuries and lacking depth, there is not much of a margin for error for the Wolverines. Needing everyone to step up, Michigan brought home five first-place finishes and 19 top-five finishes in its first home meet of the season.

Both Vetere and Kenna earned two first place honors. While Vetere secured first-place finishes on the pommel horse (9.400) and the high bar (9.350), Kenna took the top honors in both the floor exercise (8.850) and the parallel bars (9.000).

“I”m not back to full strength yet, and, it might still be a little while, but I”m starting to get stronger,” said Kenna, who, despite nursing a shoulder injury, competed in every event except pommel horse.

Senior tri-captains Kevin Roulston and Tim Dehr turned in strong routines as well. Roulston”s 9.35 on vault was good enough to earn him a first-place finish in the event, while Dehr took second place in both the floor exercise and parallel bars with scores of 8.75 and 8.95, respectively.

Daniel Diaz-Luong, still recovering from an ankle injury, had a promising performance, earning three top-five finishes while competing in four of the six events.

“I watered down some of the dismounts,” Daiz-Luong said. “I should be back in full swing in about three weeks and pretty soon I”ll make the transition from practice to competition.”

To compare, this week”s 215.5 was an eight-point improvement from last week”s 207.55 that earned Michigan first place at the Windy City Invitational.