While its hitting is running on all cylinders, the pitching hasn’t quite been there yet this season for Michigan. For a baseball team, that’s never a good sign. Michigan went 1-2 at the Butler Classic in Indianapolis this weekend in much of the same way the team has been used to this year.

Michigan (7-9) can credit most of its wins this season to some timely and consistent hitting. Yesterday’s 12-8 score against Central Michigan was a slugfest consistent with your average Michigan game, but this time, the Wolverines came up on the losing side.

Michigan first struck in the top of the fourth. Sophomore Nick Rudden launched a three-run homer as part of the four-run inning.

Junior pitcher Bobby Garza (2-1) worked smoothly until the fifth inning, when the Chippewas rained down eight runs. Central Michigan worked through Garza and two more relief pitchers during the inning.

Michigan will get another shot at the Chippewas when it opens up its home schedule at Ray Fisher stadium tomorrow.

“We certainly want a rematch,” Michigan coach Rich Maloney said. “One of our goals in the program is to get back to the point where we can win the state, and obviously this weekend we didn’t do that.”

Senior third baseman Brock Koman, who is currently sitting on a 16-game hitting streak, made his presence known Friday in Michigan’s 11-5 win over Butler on its own field.

Koman’s 3-for-5 hitting day included a two-run double and a homerun in the first.

“On the offensive side, you have quite the veteran team,” Maloney said. “We’ve been hitting pretty much day in and day out.”

Sophomore Drew Taylor got the start on the day, and pitched 6.2 innings, allowing just 2 earned runs. The Bulldogs capitalized on a throwing error by sophomore Nick Rudden and rallied for three runs, cutting the lead to 6-5. Freshman relief pitcher Craig Murray then entered the game, worked out of the jam and earned his first career save.

Murray got a fair amount of help from Michigan’s five run eighth, highlighted by Koman’s double and sacrifice flies by senior second baseman Jordan Cantalamessa and junior catcher Jake Fox.

Michigan was in the driver’s seat versus Western Michigan on Saturday, but it watched the game slip away in the final innings of the 6-2 defeat.

Sophomore Michael Penn flirted with a shutout until the eighth inning, but a Nate Wright fielding erorr was the beginning of the collapse. Right fielder Tom Fabrizio knocked in an RBI double, and Penn later hit a batter with the bases loaded.

The relief pitching proved ineffective, as freshman Ali Husain allowed one run, and freshman Derek Feldkamp allowed two runs on four hits in the ninth.

We’re inexperienced on the mound,” Maloney said. “It’s uncanny for a Division I program. Virtually every kid we throw out there is making his first start.”

Broncos’ pitcher Brad Mumma threw a complete game and held the Wolverines to their lowest offensive output of the season since facing Oklahoma on March 8. The team’s only runs came in the first inning from Fox and sophomore right fielder Chris Burhans on an infield grounder and single, respectively.

“We played a tough nonconference and considering where we’re at, we’re not that far off,” Maloney said. “We obviously have a lot of work ahead, but that’s okay for now.”